Forests, Sea shores and Walking Boots


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Dunedin
March 6th 2007
Published: March 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

From Lake Tekapo we began moving towards the bottom of South Island. The scenery changing almost hour by hour from the snow capped mountains on the horizon to sand swept bays and forests as we moved further south. We visited the town of Oamaru, staying at the Empire Hotel - a Victorian Backpackers - but central and very friendly. Oamaru is a town of Victorian architecture and apparently often used in film making. We had our first siting of a yellow eyed Penguin here and seals basking in the early evening sunshine. They also do a brilliant strawberry cheesecake in the local Victorian bakery!!

At Moeraki, we donned walking boots and trudged the millenium walk and then along the beach to see the Moeraki Boulders - quite where they came from and what they are we still are not sure. But fascinating nonetheless. Back in the tiny fishing village of Moeraki we visited 'Fleurs Place' a wonderful fish restaurant we had been recommeded - it was brilliant - it looked like a tin shack from outside, but the warm welcome and white wine was definitely worth waiting for. A little further down the coast we stopped over at Dunedin for a long weekend - joining the throng of 20,000 students as they completed their orientation (fresher, to us) week in Dunedin. A live band played in the Octagon and cafes and bars spilled out onto the pavements. The weather was lovely and warm and we enjoyed wandering the streets of Dunedin just soaking up the atmosphere of this lively town. Scottish - no, we didn't think so!

On the Sunday 26th March, from Dunedin, we visited the Otago Peninsula. The coastal road winds in and out of small bays and is a lovely drive. At the tip of the island is Taiaroa Head where a colony of Royal Albatrosses live. We were lucky enough to have three of these wonderful birds fly right over our heads. They can have a wing span of up to 3m and are absolutely beautiful to watch in flight. We felt quite priviledged to see them. The seals were also out to play, so quite a wildlife experience for us.

We spent the next week or so in the Catlins - an area often missed out by tourists - not quite the dramatic scenery that NZ is known for, but the forests and walks are wonderful. Lots of gravel roads! Found the perfect location for a holiday home - Pounawea (where two rivers meet the sea).

Lots of waterfalls, forests and sea shores. Walks became hikes as we trudged our way along footpaths clambering over boulders, up and down narrow ledges (not my favourite bit), through ferns and wonderful trees, the fantails (little birds with beautiful fanshaped tails and a high pitched song) following us - almost alighting on our shoulders - just like the Disney movies.

On 1st March we visited the most southerly point of South Island (except for Stewart Island, which we will have to leave until next time), it was cold and windy, even had to get the gloves out! Then later that day at Curio Bay we were able to wander over the Fossil Forest - trees that are 180 million years old - whow!!

We've stayed at a whole host of different Backpackers, from city centre Hotels, Victorian Mansions to wooden huts on farms and modern spilt level houses - it's been fun and we have met so many different people. This was our cosy home just for one night at Curio Bay, where we spent the evening front of a lovely log fire and the company of fellow travellers - who could ask for more!

We're at Lake Manapouri now and yesterday did the Doubtful Sound Cruise, but more about that next time ............


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb