Scotland Down Under


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Dunedin
April 6th 2018
Published: April 6th 2018
Edit Blog Post

111

A reminder of where you are parked!
Blog 20



Dunedin (Port Chalmers), New Zealand, April 3 ,2018 – Weather forecast: sunny with scattered clouds; temperature 19°C, wind 22kts (5 Beaufort)



This morning we docked in Port Chalmers at the bulk cargo pier and container port. The Noordam was joined by the Sun Princess as neither vessel, due to the fact that they are both weigh over 28,000 tons, could journey up the channel to the docks in Dunedin.



Dunedin, which derives its name from Dun Eideann the Scottish Gaelic name for Edinburgh, was designed to mimic portions of the New Town district of Edinburgh. The strong Scottish heritage can be seen throughout the architecture of the city. Scottish migrants settled here in 1848 making Dunedin the oldest city in New Zealand and in 1861 it became the gateway to the gold fields in Lawrence, in Central Otago.



During the academic year Dunedin’s population of 127,000 is augmented with an additional 12,000 students who attend the University of Otago, New Zealand’s oldest university.



Today we visited Olveston a historic home which was built for Dunedin businessman, collector and philanthropist David Theomin and his family
222

Olveston House
from 1906-1966. With no heirs to inherit, Olveston and its original contents were gifted to the City of Dunedin. The house is furnished with the vast collection of fine artworks, furniture and artefacts which were purchased by the family from all around the world. The house is a virtual time capsule as nothing has been changed since the family lived there. The tour of the house was a fascinating step back into the early portions of the 20th century. Unfortunately, photography was not allowed inside the house so I can’t give you a visual record of the visit.



Following the house visit we were driven across the city to the botanical gardens where we spent an hour walking the grounds, before we concluded our city tour with a drive to a scenic outlook for a brief photo op. Some guests choose to stay in the city to do some exploring on their own, while the rest of us returned to the ship. After lunch we followed the crew ashore to find the free Wi-Fi spot to update the blog and catch up on our emails.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

33
3

The garden
44
4

Dedication
55
5

Pine cone art in Botanical Garden
66
6

Colourful
77
7

Overview of harbour


Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0655s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb