Christchurch


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
September 13th 2012
Published: September 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Back to the start... of our south island journey that is. Laura and Ollie kindly agreed to let us stay with them for two nights so that we can explore the city. Ollie made us a lovely vegetable moussaka which we enjoyed with wine/beer whilst giving the low-down on our travels.



As we initally only spent a few hours in Christchurch (and it was pitch black as it was night time) we re-arranged our schedule to give us some more time in the city. We woke up to glorious sunshine (thank goodness) so went for a quick 10k run around the park. Beautiful trees (I do love a good tree!), flowers, a swan and a mother duck with her ducklings!



We set off for a walk through the "red zone" and were in no way prepared for the scale of devastation in store. The earthquake literally demolished the city and it still remains a ghost town. I didn't want to take any photos as I felt that it wasn't the memory I wanted to take away from Christchurch. We headed to the Restart Mall, a shopping centre made of shipping containers. I had a huge 'mixed berry frozen yoghurt' - cue American 'yoghurt' accent, which was very yummy!



We then went to see the earthquake exhibition at the Christchurch Museum. It made everything that we had seen earlier in the day even more real. Even the Intercity bus drivers have been advised not to speak to their passengers about the earthquakes so not to worry them. The city is getting back onto it's feet slowly but definitely has a long way to go.



For dinner we took a drive in the Subaru (pronounced Sue-bar-ooooo by the kiwis) to Kenzo Japanese restaurant. Dan and I were slightly nervous as neither of us have really experienced japanese cuisine before but it proved to be one of the best meals ever! I enjoyed a Vegetarian Pot which was served in a mini cauldron over a lit flame - perfect way to ensure piping hot food whilst trying to attack the noodles with my chopsticks!



Kayleigh

Xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb