New Zealand / Australia Trip


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
February 22nd 2012
Published: February 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

New Zealand/Australia

A great trip!

ChristchurchChristchurchChristchurch

Two travelers plus luggage for four
2/21/12

Awoke in Christchurch. We were not near the earthquake devastation area. In the late morning, we made our way to the airport and boarded our plane to Queenstown, the jewel in the crown of the Southern Alps. After arriving in QT, we managed to squeeze in a short tramp along Tobin’s track in nearby rustic Arrowtown.

With the benefit of long daylight hours we were able to then drive onto Coronet Peak (about 5000 ft.). This local ski resort attracts huge crowds of skiers in the winter season. At this strategic vantage point (Coronet Peak) we were mesmerized by a spectacular panoramic view of Lake Wakatipu and Lake Hayes. As a bonus, we watched paragliders as they launched from the edge of the mountain.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

QueenstownQueenstown
Queenstown

Speedy trip
QueenstownQueenstown
Queenstown

Rugby rules
ArrowtownArrowtown
Arrowtown

En route to Arrowtown
ArrowtownArrowtown
Arrowtown

Main street Arrowtown
Coronet PeakCoronet Peak
Coronet Peak

Up the slope
Coronet PeakCoronet Peak
Coronet Peak

Two climbers
Coronet PeakCoronet Peak
Coronet Peak

View from the top


22nd February 2012

You are doing a great job on your blog entries and photos! Looks and sounds as though you are having the time of your life! Haven\'t been on your blog since before the weekend, and you have certainly been busy adventuring! And the scenery is absolutely beautiful! Frank\'s 25K race over in the Bankhead National Forest went well. He got first in time for the over 60 group - 2:38:50. The trail runs are a bit more challenging than road races. He ran over tree roots and rocks and through lots of mud!!! I hiked with a woman whose husband was also in the race while Frank ran. Went to a Mardi Gras party yesterday hosted by the retired nuns, Alice & Jean. They love to cook. The menu consisted of Shrimp Etouffee, Chicken and Sausage Gumbo, Crawfish, Red Beans and Rice, Pasta Salad, French Bread, King Cake, and Wine Punch. These aren\'t your typical \"Sisters\"! They taught school on the Mississippi Gulf Coast for many years and love celebrating Mardi Gras with food and friends. Hope you continue enjoying yourselves. As they like to say in New Orleans: \"Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez!\"

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb