There and Back Again


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
November 19th 2011
Published: November 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Cashel Street mallCashel Street mallCashel Street mall

Container shops.
The last leg of our journey...we're really going to miss New Zealand (N-Zed), but we are looking forward to being home again.

Yesterday morning, we wandered around town a bit more. It's quite sad, but Christchurch was pretty much gutted by the earthquakes. There are so many homes and businesses that still aren't safe to enter. We ate lunch at a Thai place that can only have customers outside on the patio - the inside of the building is only for essential use/access. Many of the streets appear deserted and it's eerily quiet in parts, punctuated by the occasional sound of jackhammers. Our heartfelt support goes out to the town - we hope it rises better and more lovely than ever!

In an effort to get some shops, cafes, and banks up and running again, they've just opened the Cashel Street mall. They're using brightly-painted cargo containers as temporary buildings, and it looks pretty cool. We even stopped for a drink at a container bar last night!

Our last hurrah on the trip was the "Ko Tane" Maori experience at Willowbank Reserve. We got a guided tour of the New Zealand section of the park and finally -
White-faced heronWhite-faced heronWhite-faced heron

One of birds we saw at Willowbank Reserve.
yay! - got to see tuataras, kiwis, and keas. Next, a brief introduction to Maori culture and how visitors would meet with the local chiefs. The important part, our guide explained, was to communicate whether you were there as friends or food. We were invited into a small theater to watch a few "dances". I got up to try out the poi ball, and Marshall went up for the haka. My only complaint about this portion of the evening is that it wasn't long enough! I would've liked to have heard a few more songs. Lastly, we went inside for a big dinner.

That brings us to our last morning in town. Just a few more hours until we head to the airport, and we're on our way!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb