Christchurch


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
October 28th 2010
Published: October 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Friday 28th October

Friday morning involved a short drive down the East Coast from Kaikoura to Christchurch. Unfortunately, it was a rather painful experience as Han had the most almighty hangover. Thursday night was spent at "The Whaler" pub in Kaikoura where we thought we'd try our luck in yet another quiz. After round 1, we had 100 percent correct, but the topic for round 2 was horses, so we thought we wouldn't stay ahead "furlong". However, somehow we scored full marks again. With no modern music round to expose our inadequacies, we won!! Ergo, we had to utilise a $50 bar tab before the place closed. As a result, Friday night in Christchurch was a relatively quiet affair, with Han retiring early and Dave frequenting a bar (after first vetting the occupants for sufficient displays of macho behaviour. No repeats of his lonely gay bar experience).

Saturday 29th October

We spent a leisurely day on Saturday walking around Christchurch, drinking coffee, etc. It was the 150th anniversary of the New Zealand Fire Service and they were displaying their poles and engines (matron), so we stopped to try and sell them a few shelters. There is quite a bit of evidence of the recent earthquake and they are still experiencing aftershocks.

I was invited out for a girls' night with 19 other couchsurfers who are either travelling through or living in Christchurch. We went for a few drinks and then to the cinema. Meanwhile, Dave perched himself in a cosy bar to watch Australia v New Zealand Rugby Bledisoe Cup. Australia won so Christchurch is in mourning today. That's about all really. (Sorry Jeannie - we didn't make it to Akaroa what with being a bit tired of driving - we'll come and see your photos when we get back). We're off to Bangkok in a few hours. We've loved New Zealand and feel like we've packed in quite a lot of action in 2 weeks.

See you all very soon. H & D x


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0875s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb