Christchurch, New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
November 11th 2009
Published: November 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This morning we flew to the South Island of New Zealand to Christchurch. It was freezing here! About 9 C or 50F. When we arrived at the airport, we picked up our rental car (Toyota Yaris- Manual- Steve's a driving) and headed to the International Antarctic Centre. This attraction is located adjacent to the airport and was an interactive and chilling experience!

I learned Christchurch is known as the "Gateway to Antarctica". Any countries including those signed in the 1959 Antarctic Treaty must pass through the International Antarctic Centre. The United States Antarctica Program is housed on these premises.

At the Centre, we experienced a simulated "Antarctic Blizzard Storm" with 40 km winds; road an all-terrain Hagglund vehicle; and saw blue penguins at the NZ encounter.

After the chilling experience, we headed downtown to check into the apartment for the night. We ended up staying in Christchurch because we didn't have any clean clothes (so we needed laundry) and also needed a day to relax after a fun filled North Island extravaganza!!

We took a stroll near the Cathedral and snapped some wonderful pictures of the day. The day started to get warmer and the sun was
International Antarctic CentreInternational Antarctic CentreInternational Antarctic Centre

Christchurch: "Gateway to Antarctica"
shining! Stephen and I did some shopping before heading back to the apartment to rest and finish our laundry.

Tomorrow, our plan is to drive to Lake Tekapo and check out Mount Cook. We are staying at the Peppers Resort, so I am hoping for another spa at night!! We are planning for Lake Wanaka for Friday. Then we will be checking into Queenstown for some hard core adventures/spa treatments for the next 4 days!!!

I am thinking we may need a "Vacation" from this vacation.....stay tuned.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

ExhibitExhibit
Exhibit

Stephen posing


Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb