Christchurch


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
February 15th 2006
Published: February 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Week 1 in NZ:

We landed in Christchurch, only to find that most accomodations and car hire companies are completly booked up for weeks! Since we needed a room for that night and a car for the trip, it was quite a stressful afternoon, slogging around Christchurch with our luggage in tow! We eventually got a grotty room in a hostel no-one else wanted to stay in, and were then forced to stay in a hotel - oh shucks! Sovereign Hotel for 4 nights, which was great. We spent our last night at Base. It was a 'party hotel' and made us both feel about 100 years old...note to other travellers heading to NZ in peak season - book ahead!

Anyway, spent the week wandering around Christchurch. It's a very pretty city, with a cathedral, working trams and punting on the river. It has a very English feel. Visted Canterbury Museum - fascinating, learnt lots about NZ geology and history.

We took the gondola ride which is 15 mins out of Christchurch up to Banks Peninsula. The Peninsula was created millions of years ago from a volcanic explosion, and created a strip of land that now is very fertile with natural harbours, and dolphins in it's surrounding waters. Captain Cook discovered it on his way to Polynesia. He put it on the map and told the British about it, but sailed passed it the first time. From then on, British colonists left England to set up shop there, hoping for a better life.

The views going up and from the top are amazing. We walked along the crater edge for about an hour. The day was the hottest it's been so far, the sun was hot and strong from early in the morning.

Watched the Liverpool v Man U game in the Casino virtually next door to the hotel. Kick off was around 1.30am! Worth the effort as Lpool won 1-0!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.061s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb