Day 11 - Hanmer Springs to Christchurch


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
November 18th 2008
Published: November 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Waiau RiverWaiau RiverWaiau River

.... Just a few kms out of Hamner Springs we crossed the Waiau Bridge
The final leg of our trip around the South Island is a 2 hour drive back to Christchurch, our starting point 10 days ago.
We left Hamner Springs mid morning after a breakfast at a local cafe. We return to Highway 7 to take us across the Canturbury Plains back into Christchurch. Just a few kms out of Hamner Springs we crossed the Waiau Bridge high above the Waiau River in a deep canyon below. An extreme adventure company operates bungee jumping from a platform in the middle of the bridge, and is renowned for one the best "white water" rafting locations in New Zealand. Ironically the building housing the business hangs precariouly over the edge of the canyon, just to add to the thrills for sale.
We returned to the main highway to continue our drive back to Christchurch.
The sprawling city of Christchurch was very drab and uninteresting after the places we had visited over the last 10 days. We drove around Christchurch for an hour or so before returning our motor home to the Apollo depot. Apollo drove us to the airport to catch our Jetstar flight back to Melbourne.
After an enjoyable 3 hour flight, we arrived
Waiau BridgeWaiau BridgeWaiau Bridge

.......crossed the Waiau Bridge high above the Waiau River in a deep canyon below
at Tullamarine early evening. We passed through Customs quickly, collected the car from the "long term" car park, and headed home to Bannockburn......

HOLIDAY OVER!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Hanging HouseHanging House
Hanging House

..... the building housing the business hangs precariouly over the edge of the canyon


Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0223s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1015.4kb