New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
January 5th 2008
Published: January 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 3



Today is the day of the Wedding between my nephew Ben & his girlfriend Kate. Kate originally came from Christchurch, before going to Australia several years ago.

While others in our group made last minute preparations for the Wedding, I took my Mum & Dad for a tour around Christchurch.



The first place we had a look at was New Brighton beach. At the beach there is a high Pier which just looks like a bridge to nowhere - it is very high & the water below looks reasonably shallow, so I don't think boats could make use of it.



We drove along Marine parade & stopped for a few minutes to view some sculptures that were just sitting on a grassed area near the roadside.



At the end of Marine parade we headed west & stopped to view a body of water which is the estuary of the Avon & Heathcote Rivers. Then we stopped & had a look again at Shag Rock which we saw the day of our arrival.



Next we saw Cave Rock. Then we headed up into the hills.



We drove along a narrow winding road, stopping first at Taylor's Mistake & then continued on to Godley Head.



At Godley Head, after a few minutes walk you can see the heads of Lyttelton Harbour. We drove back to the main road & continued on to the township of Lyttelton. Had morning tea at a cafe housed in an old Maritime building.



Continued driving around a series of bays off Lyttelton Harbour. Also, we had a quick look at Governor's Bay.



Followed the main road around the Harbour past Allandale & Teddington, eventually going as far as Charteris Bay.



Drove back to Govenor's Bay & took the road up the mountain to the Sign of the Kiwi Lookout, viewing Christchurch. Then it was back to the Hotel to get ready for the 3:00 wedding.



We assembled in the foyer of our Hotel awaiting a shuttle bus to take us to the wedding venue. The bus came late, however, we still arrived by 2:30 pm.



The Wedding venue - Sign of the Takahe, is located in the hills on Hackthorne Road in the suburb of Cashmere.



Ben & his friend Bruce (the best man).



The ceremony was held oustide in the garden of the venue & began on time at 3:00 pm. Kate was walked down the aisle by her mother & father.



The ceremony lasted about 20 minutes.





Afterwards, the official photographers assembled the guests into 2 groups by families/friends of the bride & groom.





The reception was held inside the building which resembled a Castle & was as decorated inside in that fashion.



The ceremonies began about 6:00 pm which speeches by the Best Man, Kate's Father, Kate's Godparent, Kate's Father, my Father & Kate herself.



There were many tables for family groups & friends. For Dinner there was an Entree, Main Course & Dessert. After dinner, a 3-piece band entertained us with songs & there was dancing.





Because it was a bit hot inside the venue, I went with the kids outside for a short walk to the lookout to cool off.



Just after 9:00 pm there was a spectacular sunset. We left the venue around 10:30 pm by Shuttle bus to return to our Hotel.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.206s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb