Easter Break


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
April 6th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Enjoying the Outdoor FacilitiesEnjoying the Outdoor FacilitiesEnjoying the Outdoor Facilities

Josh and Adrianne enjoy reliving the old days
After four fairly lax weeks of school, the kids have two weeks off - the Easter break. We are heading to the south of the South Island to take in some more of this country. We started our trip with a stop at the Broadway Tea Rooms for a couple of flat whites. The flat white is an espresso based coffee falling somewhere between a cappuccino and a latte (not as much milk as a latte and not as much foam as a cappuccino). It is slowly winning me over.

On our way to Christchurch - our jumping off point for the trip - we pulled into a local attraction known as Shantytown. It is a "recreation" of a typical West Coast mining town during the boom times (late 1800s). Many of the buildings are authentic and have been relocated to this site. There is even a restored 1877 steam engine which provides a short ride into the surrounding rain forest. Recognizing the tourist kitzch of the place, it was worth the stop. Highlights included the restored hospital with electric shock machine and the out house. The kids got to try their hands at gold panning. Everyone got a bit of gold flake.

In the hospital, there was a cough syrup ad (Kumara Times 10 December 1896) which gave advice strikingly similar to the advice offered by Father Mann at our 1991 wedding (we may have uncovered the true source of his inspirational message):

First, get a wife; second be patient. You may have great trials and perplexities in your business, but do not therefore, carry to your home a cloudy and contracted brow. Her life may have trials, which though of less magnitude, may be hard for her to bear. A kind word, a tender look, will do wonders in chasing from her brow all clouds of gloom - to this we would add always keep a bottle of Chamberlain’s Cough remedy in the house. It is the best and is sure to be needed sooner or later. Your wife will then know that you really care for her, wish to protect her health.

We had to cross back to the east coast (Christchurch) before heading south. Rather than take the Lewis Pass we took the other major mountain route (the Arthur Pass) which is somewhat longer but very dramatic. The mountains are significantly higher and the surrounding landscape drier. It was a long, winding drive up to about 1,000 metres above sea level but certainly worth the extra time.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.089s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb