Kiwi Landing!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
February 24th 2007
Published: March 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our NZ adventure started out from Christchurch - where Jen had a friend (Rhiannon) from back home living - which not only gave the option of free accommodation but had the added bonus of making more friends along the way!

We arrived to torrential downpours.......urgh! Things were not looking good! And to top it all off it was positively freezing! That was of course, in comparison to Oz - so all we needed was a little time for adjustment and some trousers in the meantime! A few days later, coupled with a night out on the town we were on top of it all and back in shorts. After a fewe days recovering from the night out our next task was to suss out how we were going to get around NZ - there was of course the bus option - but (and I know this sounds a little snobby) I really didn't fancy being cooped up on a bus again, on a timetable with a fixed itinerary! I know, I know I am supposed to be thinking of the environment - I drive as economically as I can!!! HONEST!

Anyway, a morning on the phone sorted us out a little camper - which was pretty basic but met all our needs with the added bonus of a DVD player! It was with a company called Spaceships - whose cars are a rather delightful Orange and all named individually - more of that later though!

Meanwhile, while waiting for its availability we were lucky enough to be shown the sights of Christchurch by Rhiannon and her multiple house mates - who, much to my horror - had given up 2 of their beds for us! Meaning that each night there was a fight to get on the floor and get them back into their beds! Round and about Christchurch we saw Lyttleton, went up the mountains near to Christchurch for a panoramic view of the city at night and went to Christchurch's nearest beach. As well as taking a walking tour of the city with a rather horrendous guide - who seemed to be making up the city facts!!! All in all it was very delightful and not a bad way to start the kiwi experience!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb