Paul's a Luger


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
January 30th 2007
Published: January 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Navigate the monster-van up the steep streets of Queenstown and park near the cable car which carries us to fabulous views of the city. A sledge-cum-go-kart ride transports us down the hill. At this point Emma's longstanding suspicions that she has married a big kid are confirmed, as Paul rams a 12-year-old off the track and careers into a tunnel screeching with competitive victory. That's about as lively as it gets for us in the world capital of extreme sports, and we recover with a nice cup of tea and a biscuit.
Move on to the glorious Millford Sound - where waterfalls well-fed by the seven metres of annual rainfall decorate rockfaces which tower around the inlet.
The best campground of the trip award goes to Curio Bay, on the South Coast. The site, sheltered by towering flax grass, is on a small headland inhabited by a colony of yellow eyed penguins. The bay itself is home to a pod of rare Hector's dolphins which don't fail to put on a show for the campers.
Push on up the coast stopping at the Moreki boulders en route - gigantic stone footballs which look like they have mysteriously washed up on the shore. In awe of the geographical phenomenon, we climb on them a bit then head back to the van.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb