DAY 4 CLYDE – LAUDER via Alexandra, Galloway, Chatto Creek, Omakau


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Central Otago » Omakau
February 4th 2023
Published: February 6th 2023
Edit Blog Post


Jane heading down to cross Clyde River Bridge.
Surprisingly, we were upbeat away by 7.30am with our goal, Lauder, a trail ride of 50km. Taking the 13km, undulating, windy and narrow River Trail was enjoyable as we were under tree cover for the total ride. The Clutha River with its various tributaries was flowing slowly from Alexandra’s direction. In the wet season The River Trail is totally covered. With the sun rising the rays of light still found it difficult to penetrate the dense foliage.

We had visited the Otago region’s largest town, Alexandra, on our previous visit to the South Island and crossed the huge bridge for entry into the town. We had breakfast at the Tiny Goose, purchased Powerade and water and being refreshed, it was onto the railway siding and the old station building of Galloway, 7kms along the Otago Rail Trail.

Apart from a 3km slight downhill respite into Omakau after reaching Tiger Hill, The Otago Rail Trail rises continually from Alexandra to Lauder. We felt it. You just have to keep ‘turning-those-pedals’ or you ain’t goin’ nowhere. It was another hot day with a rare overhanging tree to give us shade for the drinking stops we frequently made.

Galloway to Chatto

Clyde River Bridge.
Creek was a testing 10km ride as the heat and continual rise began to affect us. We had wanted to eat at Chatto Creek, however, disappointingly, the food on the menu was not healthy at all. While stopped, other trail riders and locals began to fill the place. We replenished our liquids and headed off for the 12km to Omakau. We were warned that the trail from Chatto Creek to Omakau had the longest and steepest rise. The warning was not wrong at least for the first 9kms of it. We shared a sandwich at The Muddy Creek Café in Omakau and again replenished our drinking supplies. Today we each drank 5L of various liquids as well as soaking our heads and shoulders with water to keep us cool. Adding to the difficulty of the ride, the wind for most of the journey was directly in our faces. Are we enjoying it at this stage? No.

Knowing we ‘only’ had 7kms to reach Lauder we headed off with a renewed attitude. Upon reaching our accommodation of the Lauder School B&B we were told that there was “no” booking for an Andrew and Jane. I produced the paid-up documents and

Clutha River.
after a few phone calls between the owner and her husband at home in the office, it was found to be a “miscommunication” between them. Apologies flowed. We were slumped into comfortable chairs to care either way. We are now in the ensuite with the title on the entrance door reading, “Detention Shed”. No complaints.

Refreshed from a very cold shower, just what the doctor ordered, we headed across the road for blue cod, salad and chips plus a wine. All good.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Jane, eager to tackle the River Trail.


On the trail.


The trail.


Note the "Gates" ... think Jess Fox.



Ready to leave Alexandra


Beginning the Rail Trail.





Seeking shade.


Chatto Creek


Resting in shade.


Omakua Railway Station.



Lauder School B&B


The door to our ensuite.


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb