Camping on the South Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Canterbury
March 3rd 2014
Published: March 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Geoff and JudyGeoff and JudyGeoff and Judy

Looking forward to our break in the South Island
Well here we are getting ready for our 1 week camping adventure in the Canterbury region of the South Island.

This is going to be a casual relaxing week with no bookings for accommodation made.

Airline tickets were booked last year with bargain fares $500 return for the two of us with Jetstar Australia. March is off season and that suits us fine.

A camper has been booked with Apollo - cost $1,200 for seven days with full insurance. This camper doesn't have a shower or toilet but we are happy with this decision as there are plenty of public toilets available on the South Island - and we plan on doing some freedom camping and stopping in holiday parks when we can.

We will arrive in Christchurch late at night so our first night we will be staying in a motel very close to the airport. We are booked into the Airport Lodge Motel $132 for one night. Free shuttle to and from airport is provided. We will pick up the camper first thing the next morning and our plan is to stay the first day in the Christchurch area and then make our way out to Hamner Springs for our first night in the camper.

Plan on purchasing our groceries for the week while in Christchurch and then we are free to relax and take the week as it comes.

We last visited NZ in 2007 and since then Geoff has become a keen photographer. He is really looking forward to getting some fantastic shots in this magnificent part of the world.

Stay tuned - we plan on blogging when we get opportunities to access wi-fi.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb