Detour


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Blenheim
August 22nd 2011
Published: August 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Let the detours begin!
We were supposed to fly from Wanaka to Christchurch, pick up a rental car and drive to Blenheim but the Wanaka airport closed because of a snowstorm. Being the intrepid travellers that we are we jumped on a bus to Christchurch only to arrive late at night in the midst of their snowstorm! Most hotels were full but we managed to find a room at the Addington City Motel. The owner was kind enough to come pick us up from the airport.
Early next morning we took a shuttle back to Christchurch airport and spent the entire day trying to get a flight out to Blenheim. It was not to be so we booked a night at the lovely Chateau on the Park and arranged to take the TransCoastal Train the next morning. We now had to skip Blenheim as were behind schedule now. The train was due to depart at 7am so we pre-arranged a courtesy shuttle to pick us up between 615am to 630pm.
Guess what? Not only did the shuttle not arrive but they did not even call to say they weren't coming! At this point I was ready to grab my bags and head out into the street and start hitch-hiking. We could not afford to miss this train. Fortunately a taxi arrived to pick up someone else who had already left and we made it to the train station just before 7am. But then the train was delayed and did not depart until 755am. It totally felt like an "Amazing Race" moment!
The train travels along the east coast of New Zealand's southern island and it is a very scenic and comfortable way of travel. There is snack bar on board and they give commentary on the way as well.
We arrived in Picton early that afternoon and took Cougar Lines (water taxi) to the Portage Resort which is located on the Queen Charlotte Track. Anxious to stretch our legs we took a 2 hour walk along a portion of the track. If only we had time to do the full length but that would take about 3 to 4 days.
Next morning we were to take the Interislander Ferry from Picton to Wellington but once again the weather was not cooperating. All sailings were cancelled because of rough seas!
Alison, owner/manager of the Portage Resort stepped in and helped us rearrange our itinerary.
Now the plan was to have a short cruise on the Queen Charlotte Sound before being dropped off again at Picton.
The kind folks at Marlborough Travel picked us up and we went off to lunch at the Wither Hills Winery just outside of Blenheim. Only a short and scenic drive from Picton.
After a short flight from Blenheim to Wellington we were met by Todd from Flat Earth Tours who gave us a short city tour with several stops at different museums. Te Papa Museum was defintely a highlight and you could easily spend and entire day there. Todd was certainly a character and he is also an actor who had a role as an extra in one of Peter Jackson's movies. They were all excited in Wellington because they had received snow and he wanted to take us up in the hills and show it to us. We said no thanks...........don't need to see anymore snow for a while!
Our last night in New Zealand was spent at the Amora Hotel (formerly the Duxton) in Wellington. It is in a great location within walking distance to shops, restaurants and attractions.
Fly home tomorrow and fingers crossed that all goes smoothly!

Advertisement



22nd August 2011

typo
sorry should have been shuttle pick up between 615am to 630am Candis

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb