First Snow


Advertisement
Published: September 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Riding on the HighwayRiding on the HighwayRiding on the Highway

The West Coast Road is the access route to the mountains. Note the one lane bridge ... one of many.
Snow cats get ready: there is snow in the Southern Alps! The first snow of the winter season has always excited us, giving us images of snow shoeing and carving down the slopes. So when Ele called up to invite us along on a tramp through the snow, we were much obliged. We were itching to go by the time Steve, Ele, and Tom showed up at our doorstep at noon.

Steve tore off as we bounded out of the city, and we were soon into cruise mode. The i-pod came out and we even started singing. Singing turned to hoo-rahs as Steve whipped into 4 wheel drive and charged off road … through a small river. A hippy van drove passed on the proper road with the passengers cheering. Not much further and we were 4-wheeling again up the 6 km unsealed access road to one of New Zealand’s most challenging club fields.

Craigieburn Valley ski field nestles under the steep face of a prominent mountain in the Craigieburn Range called Hamilton Peak. It has achieved cult status among advanced skiers due to its steepness, deepness and cheapness. We arrived a month early for the tow rope to
Textured slopeTextured slopeTextured slope

Craigieburn ski field does not have any beginner slopes, if you can imagine!
be open, but we were welcome to take the slope by foot. The snow drifts deepened as we rose above the access road and into the bowl, where we stopped at the Lunchbox Lodge for a bite to eat.

The top of the mountain seemed only inches away, but as we ascended we realised that the traverse was longer than suspected. It was a bit awkward walking sideways … like we hadn’t drunk our V-8. Before long, though, we popped over onto the ridge, and a gust of wind caught our breaths. The wind battered against our bodies as we tramped along the ridgeline to the peak. The light ones of the group had to be careful not to get too close to the edges, lest they took flight! We soured back down the mountain in no time, bounding through the snow.

The trip home would not have been complete without a stop for some homemade meat pies. Pies are truly a Kiwi favourite; a simple dish consisting of a pastry shell cradling meat and gravy. At a basic level, meat pies must contain 24.5% “meat product” and they must be “safe to eat” as per the Australasia
Lunchbox LodgeLunchbox LodgeLunchbox Lodge

Although we hit the ski field pre-season, the lodge was unlocked. It provided a warm break for lunch.
Food Standards. An endless number of variations on the basic recipes exist, and fillings may include steak, mince, lamb, venison, or even veggies. Some less popular pie are meatless … and obviously not controlled by the same standards as the meat pies. All the same, they warmed our bellies for the ride home - true contentment after a full-on day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The CrewThe Crew
The Crew

From Left to Right: Steve, Bryan, Tom, Ele, Mindy
Rising to the topRising to the top
Rising to the top

Ele and Steve climb the final steps to Hamilton Peak.
Hanging on for dear lifeHanging on for dear life
Hanging on for dear life

Tom battles the strong winds on Hamilton Peak. Well blow me down!
Western view from Hamilton PeakWestern view from Hamilton Peak
Western view from Hamilton Peak

Mountains as far as the eye can see!
All smilesAll smiles
All smiles

We were having a jolly good time!


16th September 2006

snow blog
who needs mount everest? It looks like the top of the world from those pictures to my eyes.
20th September 2006

Great pic
I am so jealious! Those are the best picture I'v ever seen. You are living it up!

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb