Arthur's Pass


Advertisement
Published: November 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday we had the whole day in Arthurs Pass so we pottered along a few of the shorter walks including the Dobson Nature Walk (& a little of the Otira Valley as it looked pretty!), a brief stop in the DOC office for postcards & more walk info then up to the Devil's Punchbowl Falls - quite a lot of steps to go up but the fall was beautiful. We paused up here for our picnic lunch then scooted back into the village to grab ice creams before tackling the longer walk up Bealey Valley to see The Chasm!!! Very pretty but it really doesn't deserve that name! We continued up the hill as the DOC guy told us there are lovely views from the top, & he was right. Beautiful views from a grassy clearing that contained sundews & other interesting alpine plants. We then decided the onwards track looked quite nice so we'd continue until the next steep uphill, only there wasn't one! We got to the river at the end of the track, which again was stunning, & I dabbled my sore foot in the icey stream. Not sure how much that helped but it was quite fun. We then headed back to the hostel with a quick detour to Death's Corner to look down on the viaduct - surprising graceful piece of engineering that looks right at home nestled between the mountains. We also had more fun with the local Keas! Quiet night of dvd watching with our fellow hostel guest and again forgetting to go & see the glow worms - oops!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Mountain streamMountain stream
Mountain stream

I love the sound of the mountain streams! This one just below Devil's Punchbowl falls.
The Chasm!!!The Chasm!!!
The Chasm!!!

Yeah, it's not that well named!
Up the chasm...Up the chasm...
Up the chasm...

Further along Bealey Valley.
Kea!Kea!
Kea!

Alpine parrots which hang around carparks hoping to be fed...
Kea in flightKea in flight
Kea in flight

Pretty underwing colouration.


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb