Day 2 - Christchurch to Akaroa


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Akaroa
August 23rd 2008
Published: August 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Apollo 6 Berth Euro Deluxe MotorhomeApollo 6 Berth Euro Deluxe MotorhomeApollo 6 Berth Euro Deluxe Motorhome

Our home for the tour of NZ's South Island
Awoke early to cold frosty morning. Enjoyed a hearty breakfast, considering nothing to eat yesterday. I inquired as to the proximity of Apollo Rentals to our hotel to be told "just around the corner"Decided to walk to Apollo rentals to pick up our 6 berth Euro Deluxe motorhome that will be our accomodation for the next two weeks.... 1 hour and three "k" later walking in sub zero tempratures, I found said depot...yer, right "just around the corner".... thank's a lot!!!! After going through all the BS to actually rent one of these units, I finally drove out of their driveway. only to get lost in the airport precinct until finally finding the Sudima Hotel where I started from some two hours before. Collect Judy, Brett and all our luggage from the hotel and we hit the road to Akaroa.
After negotiating our way through suburbs of Christchurch we finally find the road to Akaroa. As we begin to travel into the open countryside the spectacular scenery we were anticipating becomes quite evident .
Heavy rain had fell for a week before we arrived turning the local dairy pastures into lakes of water. Even with all this drenching, the spectacular vistas
Akaroa from the PubAkaroa from the PubAkaroa from the Pub

....enjoyed a lovely lunch while looking at this view
with snow capped mountains on the horizion blew us away.
Driving conditions were pretty good, nice wide roads, not much traffic...time to adjust to handle this Ford Transit, which, by the way is an absolute dream to drive considering the size of the vehicle.
The lay backed, easy drive came to an end after we drove through the quaint town of Little River. The road starts to twist and turn into a serious steep climb through magnificent scenery to the find a pub (we had lunch) on top of the world... the most spectacular veiw of the Akaroa district (see photo)
After a delightful lunch we made our descent into the absolute paradise of Akaroa.

Akaroa is a village on Banks Peninsula in the Canterbury region of the South Island of New Zealand. It is 82 kilometres by road from Christchurch, and is the terminus of State Highway 75.

According to the March 2001 New Zealand census of population and dwellings, the permanent population was 576, a decrease of 69 since 1996. The village has a high (31%) ratio of residents aged over 65 years.

Set on a beautiful, sheltered harbour and overlooked by craggy volcanic hills,
The RotundaThe RotundaThe Rotunda

....the most photographed landmark in Akaroa
Akaroa is a popular resort village. In summer the temporary population can reach 7,000 which places stress on the water supply which is entirely dependent upon rainfall on the hills.

Although sailors from the hastily-despatched HMS Britomart proclaimed British sovereignty over the South Island at Akaroa in 1840, the area was settled that same year by French settlers who had intended to establish a colony. The area still has a French influence, reflected in many local placenames.

Many Hector's Dolphins may be found in the harbour, and 'swim with the dolphins' boat tours are a major tourist attraction.

The French settlement was known as Port Louis-Philipe; before 1840 it was also known as Wangaloa. The name Akaroa is Kāi Tahu Māori for 'Long Harbour'.

We loved this lovely French themed village, no wonder New Zealander's flock here over summer it is really another world.

Camped at the Akaroa Caravan Park, very good facilties, concrete pads, good dump

The veiws from the caravan park looking towards the town and bay is superb....check out the night photo from our motorhome.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

BoathouseBoathouse
Boathouse

.... another landmark of Akaroa
Akaroa JettyAkaroa Jetty
Akaroa Jetty

..... this is where you board the dolphin watching cruise,there are sovernier shops and a pearl processing business.
Akaroa from our CampsiteAkaroa from our Campsite
Akaroa from our Campsite

Stunning views from our van site at sunset


Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb