Wellington and Abel Tasman


Advertisement
Published: February 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Te PapaTe PapaTe Papa

Shot of Te Papa - New Zealand's big national museum which is located in Wellington.
It rained again the day after the Tongariro Crossing, but I was heading to Wellington. Wellington is not a bad place to run into rain, I guess, since we could still walk around town and enjoy the nightlife. I went to Te Papa, New Zealand's big museum, and the Parliament building. There was also some pretty good nightlife in town since we were there on the weekend.

I crossed the ferry to the South Island in the rain and was excited to get to Abel Tasman National Park. Abel Tasman is located on the northwest corner of the South Island. As you can see from the pictures, there are nice beaches and views of the ocean. The weather turned nice again so I decided I was going to spend several days enjoying the area.

The first day I went on a day hike up the Abel Tasman Trail. The Abel Tasman Trail is a four day hike along the coast and beaches. It is one of New Zealand's "Great Walks". I decided to hike up to Torrent Bay, which is only a half day hike really - 12 km. The hike along the trail was fairly easy, as it
Me at Parliament BuildingMe at Parliament BuildingMe at Parliament Building

Shot of me in front of the New Zealand Parliament Building in Wellington.
was very well maintained. There were bridges at all of the stream crossings and the bridges made the hike easier than most trails I have done back in the States. The hike was mainly though the "bush" (woods) along the ocean. It continued down to Anchorage Bay. There was a nice beach at Anchorage Bay where we spent some time relaxing in the sun and waiting for the tide. At low tide, there is a tidal hike to Torrent Bay. We had to hike the segment in bare feet since the mud was deep and there was still lots of water in the area. It was sort of a cool hike. We got picked up in a water taxi at Torrent Bay to take us back to the trailhead.

The next day I headed up to Golden Bay on a water taxi. It was a nice day and the water taxi is a great way to see the coast and to see the entire Abel Tasman Track, without having to hike the entire trail. It was a nice ride up the coast. Then from Golden Bay, we took a trip to see Pupu Springs, which provide water for a
PictonPictonPicton

A shot from the ferry as we crossed to Picton, on the South Island.
river near Golden Bay. It was amazing the amount of water that came up from the springs. No pictures of this as the camera would not really capture the scene. After that we went to an eel farm. The eel feeding portion was not the most exciting thing that I have ever done. Pretty stupid, really. I spent the rest of my time at Golden Bay relaxing and hanging out in the sun. There was a lookout near Golden Bay that we checked out. We biked up to a trailhead and then walked a short hike to an overlook that was in the middle of the rocks. Good overlook of the area. We played a couple of rounds of mini-golf as well.

The bus was not running, so we had to take the water taxi back down south. It was a rough ride since there were 4 meter waves that day. Lucky that nobody got sea sick. I enjoyed the bumpy ride back as it made the trip pretty entertaining.



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Marborogh SoundMarborogh Sound
Marborogh Sound

Looking back up into Marlborogh Sounds near Picton.
Great view along Abel Tasman TrackGreat view along Abel Tasman Track
Great view along Abel Tasman Track

Looking out onto one of the many bays that we saw during the hike on the Abel Tasman Track.
Abel Tasman TrackAbel Tasman Track
Abel Tasman Track

Looking down the trail of the Abel Tasman Track. Well formed trail - beautiful views!
Anchorage BayAnchorage Bay
Anchorage Bay

Looking down onto Anchorage Bay from the Abel Tasman Track.
Me in front of Anchorage BayMe in front of Anchorage Bay
Me in front of Anchorage Bay

Shot of me while looking down onto Anchorage Bay.
Anchorage BayAnchorage Bay
Anchorage Bay

Looking down the beach at Anchorage Bay.
Torrent BayTorrent Bay
Torrent Bay

Looking at Torrent Bay in Abel Tasman National Park.
View from Water TaxiView from Water Taxi
View from Water Taxi

View from the water taxi back into a bay along the Abel Tasman coast.
Abel Tasman National ParkAbel Tasman National Park
Abel Tasman National Park

A beach that we passed in the water taxi.
Abel Tasman National ParkAbel Tasman National Park
Abel Tasman National Park

A view in Abel Tasman National Park. Check out the color of the water. Perdy.
Seal on the rockSeal on the rock
Seal on the rock

Shot of one of the several seals that we saw chillin on the rocks in Abel Tasman.
Seal on the rocks #2Seal on the rocks #2
Seal on the rocks #2

Another shot of the seals on the rocks at Abel Tasman National Park.
Abel Tasman National ParkAbel Tasman National Park
Abel Tasman National Park

Picture from the water taxi of the beautiful coastline along Abel Tasman.
Me feeding the eelsMe feeding the eels
Me feeding the eels

A picture of me feeling the eels. So stupid. There is even a cat begging for food...
View of Golden BayView of Golden Bay
View of Golden Bay

View of Golden Bay from the overlook.
Golden BayGolden Bay
Golden Bay

Another view of Golden Bay from the overlook.
Antique Cars in Golden BayAntique Cars in Golden Bay
Antique Cars in Golden Bay

A couple of the many antique cars that we saw in Golden Bay.


15th March 2008

hungry
Ben! Time for lunch! Maggie

Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb