Taupo


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
January 18th 2006
Published: January 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Since we are unable to hike the Tongariro Crossing today we get up and I do some laundry while Michael takes care of some business on the laptop. We then walk into town to eat something before going to the Internet café. On the way we stop at the Information Center to check the weather in Tongariro National Park. The report says it will be rainy in the morning but clearing early. We will have our rain gear with us so we aren’t too concerned about it raining early but hope that it is clear when we cross the saddle at the top of the mountain. The whole purpose of the hike is to see the view from the ridge.
We stop at a pub since we are eating between lunch and dinner times. The food is pretty good and while we are sitting outside the sun comes out. Hopefully it is clearing in Tongariro National Park as well. At the Internet café Michael uploads photos and I update the blog. We then walk back to our motel to get our gear together for the hike tomorrow. On the way back to our motel we take a route where we cut across a field with a Cricket Oval. There are some guys practicing as we are walking through. The bowler (pitcher) throws the ball and the person in the field misses it so it rolls towards us. Michael has been trying to understand Cricket since we’ve been here but it is a very complicated game. He is curious what the ball feels like so he picks it up and throws it back. He is so happy when the guy calls out, “Nice throw, thanks Mate”. It makes him feel a little more adequate where Cricket is concerned.
Our transport picks us up at 5:40 am to get to the trailhead at 7:00 am and the hike will take about nine hours, so we get to bed by 10:00 pm.


Advertisement



27th January 2006

Amazing Trip !
This has been an amazing trip. I have enjoyed your journals immensely! Don't know that I would have the energy or muscles to do the hiking you 2 have done. I am jealous. Especially sliding down the crater. Don't know that your realized the danger you were in? Constance Adcox Hope to keep in touch with you 2, when you return. . .

Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0925s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb