Day 163 New Zealand, Drive to Whanganui.


Advertisement
Published: May 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hi People,



Today we had a nice breakfast and headed off to Tongariro to do the planned Alpine crossing but the closer we got the worse the weather got, I checked the weather for the day and found it was going to pelt down all day and then snow the next day so we decided to head down to Whanganui and then down to Kapiti for sun set and camp there.



The drive down into Whanganui was amazing it’s called the Para-Paras and combines hilly landscape with winding roads. It was spectacular.



As we had not paid to stay anywhere it meant we had no 220v power (or showers) so once we got to Whanganui we stopped in the I-sites, which are located all over NZ. We charged up all our stuff and got some blog out with the free Wi-Fi.



We had some soup in the van before heading off to Kapiti, however on the way I notice this was where our friends from the ship live; so after a quick message we turned around and headed to theirs. We have not seen Rachel and Lewis since I worked with them on Oceana 2.5 years ago.



Rachel had to go to work so she showed us around her house and gave us towel and Wi-Fi codes and said to make ourselves at home. First thing was to have a bath/shower, seems so long ago since my last!! Then we had a cup of T2 apple crumble (Yummy); then washed all our clothes and settled down with Wi-Fi catching up on life and feeling very clean and happy!!!



At about 1730 Lewis got home and we had a good catch up before he cooked us a dinner of sausage Linguine (it was amazing thanks Lewis). We then chatted and drank beer until Rachel finished work at 10pm, once she was back the girls cracked open the wine and we caught up until it was 1am!!! We then headed to bed as they had offered to give us a tour of Whanganui in the morning.



Great day!! Sorry for the 5 min notice Rachel!!! :P



Love N&V X


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb