Whanganui River and National Park


Advertisement
Published: January 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Trip south to the National Parks

From the farm we stayed at near Hamilton we travelled south via the caves at Waitomo. We then travelled further south to Mt Taranaki and then Whanaganui national park

The worlds least profitable campsite!The worlds least profitable campsite!The worlds least profitable campsite!

On account that we were the only ones there, the sweet old Lady owner simply wanting to "share" this amazing riverside spot with others!
DATE VISITED: 14TH, 15TH JANUARY

The journey to this quiet south west National Park only took a few hours from Taranaki. Thick bush and rolling hills dominated the landscape. The scenery was pretty and yet again our campsite was a total delight tucked away in a hidden valley next to the mighty river itself. We had the whole place to ourselves which came equipped with a dinky kitchen and shower block - camper's paradise!

The owners who turned up later that day chatted to us for much of the afternoon; they were so friendly and chilled! What a humble bunch. Once they left we were joined by a group of Maori tribal types who practised a dance in the corner of the grassy area. We looked on with intrigue! as this stuff was free and authentic! It reminded me of some voodoo scene out of a film!

Our 2nd day spent in the Whanganui valley involved a walk upto a view point which gave us a taste of the remote wilderness of this area - but then so much of the North Island is like that! ... we then chatting some more to the camp owners who gave us loads more tips on what to see in the South Island.

We left the campsite feeling so lucky we made the detour - a lovely place to pitch a tent, a free dance ceremony, an amazing place to see the stars at night, and good conversation with the camp owners.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Whanganui National ParkWhanganui National Park
Whanganui National Park

A view point from the Skyline Walk - 2 hours uphill climb to the look-out
Sal in the 3-man dome  tentSal in the 3-man dome  tent
Sal in the 3-man dome tent

Why does my hair look ginger!???


Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0597s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb