Made it to New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Whakapapa
July 16th 2009
Published: July 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Ok firstly before you ready this, look at where I am, Whakapapa, ok a Maui word, right... Maui's pronounce Wh as Fu...

Nearly didn't make it to the airport! Will say nothing more than it involved a night out with some people from the hostel, and me turning off my alarm when drunk and a 6.55am bus to the airport. Once at the airport I was a proper hobo sleeping on my bag, most likely snoring and dribbling. Flight was fine got to Auckland and was met by friends of Siov's. I stayed with them for a night, they had a really lovely house near the centre of Auckland and got an amazing nights sleep, sat up all evening by a fire outside eating real food and it was cold but nice to be layered up and cosy. Met up with James and Helen in Auckland the next day, was great to see them, spent ages catching up and I went back to stay at James Dad's place. Had a really lovely evening planning the trip, with pizza and read wine and then said bye to Siov who's flying back to London. James' has 2 young sisters who like to wake up at about 5am and watch the teletubbies so that was fun!

Picked up the campervan, a bright orange converted people carrier and just sort of started driving south of Auckland - we hadn't really made much of a plan. Stayed the night in the Coromodel town which was beautiful (I appologise in advance for the fact that I can't spell any NZ town name) the road hugged the coast and stayed at this quiet camp site. Camping isn't as bad as in Aus as we have a heater and 3 people in a 2 person camper making it very cosy, in face was too hot on the first night. Drove around the Coromodel peninsula and went to Cathedral cove that they used in some movie, was really nice although I've contracted a cold so wasn't really feeling enthusiastic. Drove down to Rotoura, the drive was scenic, hilly almost lake district scenery. Rotorua is the center of thermal activity or something geologyish. Either way there are hot springs everywhere! Got to the camp site (which didn't smell of sulphur like the rest of the town) and they had mineral baths there which were really hot, one was too hot but were amazing to be in with a cold. Getting out wasn't so fun but had an evening in and slept so since then beginning to feel better.

Drove from Rotoura to this hot spring park area. Totally amazing, a exploding gyser which was interesting then a 'champagne pool' which was beautiful and this pond that was lumious green, honestly it was all natural but looked soo fake! Then on to Taupo where there is a beautiful lake, drove around a bit, not much to do except admire the scenery. Drove on south on the desert highway which was really barron for miles and saw our first snow!! Was a tiny amount on the ground but we could see the ski fields and it was really scenic! Camping tonight in Ohkane and hoping to see some pretty mountain type things tomorrow and spend some time in Whakapapa.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb