Wellington boots


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
March 13th 2006
Published: March 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Rocked up to Wellington feeling a little sore from the rafting and spent a very chilled day wandering round: Oriental Parade and the marina with tons of running people (doing it in their lunch hour, presumably; looked like far too much hard work if you ask me); and the afternoon in the Te Papa (maori for "our place") musuem. The musuem was brilliant. Learnt all about emigration to New Zealand: apparently the Cotswolds and surrounds were from where a lot of emigrating farm labourers originated. I watched a documentary with a woman from Ashton-Under-Wychwood talking about her relatives who decided to seek a better life in NZ in the 19th century. And there is a memorial in Woodstock (I think) that lists the several families that perished in a stormy sea when their boat to NZ sank. How bizarre?! I am 18,000 ish km away from Oxford and what do I see in a musuem? Pictures of Oxfordshire! There was also a brilliant exhibition on the vulcanology (if that is the right word?!) of NZ; its origins in Gondwanaland and how the pacific and two other tectonic plates all meet up, grind against each other and make this island volcanic. Hopefully just not too much while I am here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Ferry from Wellington to PictonFerry from Wellington to Picton
Ferry from Wellington to Picton

Leaving the North Island and going South...


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 73; dbt: 0.08s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb