Windy Wellington


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
February 13th 2006
Published: March 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

It was a long and windy road to Wellington on the bus, it took about 6 hours in total, saw some nice scenery along the way though as seems to be the case with most of New Zealand so far.

Our purpose for visiting Wellington was to see Laura's old work pal (Jen) from the UK who emigrated here last year with her husband (Mike). Jen picked us up from the bus station and made us a lovely homecooked meal. They have a beautiful house up in the hills not too far from Wellington City and we had a great night's sleep.

The following day Jen had to work, and as Mike was working a night shift he kindly drove us into town and up to Mount Victoria to take in the views of Wellington. After that he dropped us into town to have a wander at our own pace while he headed for the golf course. Whilst in town we went the Te Papa museum, which was free so that was a result. Its pretty big with lots of different displays, it was interesting learning a bit about the history of NZ and also experiencing a fake earth quake in the display simulator. There was a bungee simulator that Martin wanted to try out, like a virtual reality machine that flips you over in a harness, but they wouldn't let Martin on as he didn't have laced shoes on, he wasnt impressed. Afterwards we met up for a couple of drinks with Jen along the harbour.

As the title of this blog suggests Wellington is a very windy place, well it was when we were there anyway, walking down by the harbour at one point we were leaning right into the wind just to get anywhere. The City is surrounded by hills which is where most of the housing seems to be, a very pretty city.

The following day we were heading for the South Island to make our way to Christchurch so we had an early start to catch the ferry to Picton..

Thanks again to Jen and Mike for putting us up for our time in Wellington it was great to see you and good luck with your new life in NZ..


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb