Quiet days in Wellington


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
February 19th 2009
Published: March 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

A chocolate dipped ice cream...A chocolate dipped ice cream...A chocolate dipped ice cream...

...yum! Although would like to point out that really am not as fat as look in this pictire. Is a backless top and wind blowing from behind filled it up like a parachute!
19/2/09 = Arriving in Wellington; the cool Te Papa Museum

Was hoping to wake up at 7am today, but phone turned itself off, so no alarm. Lucky the old bodyclock alarm kicked in and actually came in handy...woke me up at 7am, bang on the dot. Got in shower, had breakfast, then got ready to leave and head to Wellington, not forgetting all important stop at library first. Got there at 9:15 and as informed, a queue had already developed of more than 10people. Hope they weren't all waiting for free internet...but why else would you queue at a library so early? Doors opened at 9:30 and all rushed in; in an orderly queue fashion though...didn't do any pushing in. Went straight for nearest computers and off we went. Only supposed to have an hour, but library got more quiet, so ended up having full 2hours and getting loads done = brilliant! Set off for Wellington in extra good mood then and stopped on way to have some lunch. Had planned to stop in nice, scenic spot, but after 45mins of rumbling belly, settled for a rest stop at side of road...at least it had a table. Had remaining salad and bread from yesterday (went down v.well) in the boiling hot sunshine. So hot, felt like head was burning. After 15mins, had to dart back into car to avoid pink scalp syndrome that been left with so many times in Australia. Carried on journey then to Wellington.

Another 15mins into journey and spotted an ice cream shop at side of road. Supposedly the best, smallest ice cream shop in NZ. Interesting. Couldn't resist it. Did a u-turn and in we went. Ended up coming out with a double scoop ice cream, in a chocolate waffle cone, dipped in chocolate, with a chocolate on top. Absolutely gorgeous and only cost $4. Took 15mins to eat and although not sickly by end of it, was ready to stop eating...you can only eat so much of a good thing. Back in car then and onwards to Wellington. Not a long journey, but was ready to get there. Scenery beautiful; green, mountainous and vast, but is like a guy in Australia said to us:
"Although it's beautiful, really beautiful, after a couple of weeks, it becomes like wallpaper. You don't notice the beauty anymore and you just come to expect it as normal."
A Giant Colossal SquidA Giant Colossal SquidA Giant Colossal Squid

Supposed to be the largest squid ever caught, although personally, I think it looks more like one of the aliens from the film Independence Day.

Never imagined how true that would be, but it totally is. The scenery is amazing everywhere here; you can't drive anywhere without being surrounded by mountains and greenery, so after a while, it does become normal, because here...it is.

Got into Wellington at 3pm and was a nightmare city to drive round. A full one way system and had to drive round the same streets several times before could even get onto the street we wanted. Then had to pull randomly over and park illegally in a traffic lane just so Deb could run in and find out that there was no free parking at hostel anyway. Had to park in supermarket for an hour (for free) and then move car to beach, where was free after 4pm. Checked in in meantime and a bit gutted that hostel so expensive at $27 per night; $30 for Deb because she not a YHA member. A huge hostel too, so not sure if going to like that either. Dumped bags anyway, did a shop at supermarket, then was 4pm and could move car. Didn't really know what to do after that. Didn't want to waste rest of day (although already nearly
Inside a Whale's heartInside a Whale's heartInside a Whale's heart

Why would this just be an activity for kids? Kids get all the fun!
5pm), so decided to visit a main attraction = Te Papa Museum. Have said before that not really into Museums, but had lots of good reviews, didn't close until 8pm and most importantly, was free...sold! Headed over and was actually really impressed. Huge Museum over several floors and with several differently themed sections, so was bound to be some things we found interesting. And there was...it was - rather suprisingly - really good!
1) Saw the largest ever squid on display = a Colossal Squid (remarkable resembelence to an alien).
2) Climbed into a replica of a blue whales heart in the kids section (love kids sections).
3) Went inside a house that was designed as an earthquake simulator, so got to see and feel effects inside house (v.good). Actually suprised to read how many earthquakes NZ have; quite a problem here. Reminded my how lucky we are in England to not be affected by many geological problems...only rain really.
4) Saw the special "The Golden Years Junkshop" show, which was really good. Showed TV clippings and radio broadcasts of different stories through the years and all things in junkshop moved and lit up to emphasise points - really good for free.
5) Played on a really cool music system for ages, where could make own music by turning and touching different buttons. Both played happily on that for longer than most kids (although that wasn't in kids section...guess adults do get to have fun sometimes too).
6) Got to climb inside a constructed Maori House and Treaty House (although not actually sure if were allowed to climb in first one...).
7) Visited the best kids section ever...one of best ever been in. Had the best puppet show with batflies singing about the trouble with being a batfly. Don't know how it was for kids - apart from the singing and dancing part. Can't really describe how funny it was...it just was. Not only did it have awesome puppet show, also discovered a dressing up corner. Not been in one of those for along time! Don't know how it happened, but before could stop myself, we were rumaging through it looking for outfits. One thing led to another and when next looked in mirror, I was dressed in a 7yr olds, pink bridemaid dress complete with with a red satin, 80's puffball jacket and where Deb was standing before, now
A junkshop showA junkshop showA junkshop show

Was actually quite cool.
stood a new version of Superman, with a red clown wig. We are definitely not in our 20's yet! Totally funny, but even more embarassing, epecially when the security guard started walking towards us. Oh no...hope he isn't going to throw us out onto the street looking like this! He headed straight for us with another man in a suit. Tried to look inconspicuous in my bright pink dress with my red-headed friend, but turned out that he didn't want to throw us out afterall, he just brought his mate over to have a laugh at us. Don't know what was worse...possibility of being thrown out dressed as 7yr old, or being laughed at right there in dressing up corner. Some other people started to come in then awell...adults who had children and therefore actually had the right to be in kids corner. All v.embarrassing. Never got out of a satin dress so quick. Threw clothes back into dress up corner, breathed out so belly could return to normal size and not that of 7yr olds, then scuttled out of kids corner with heads down. Funny though.

Still 2 more floors of museum un-explored, but already 7:40 and been
The best puppet show I have ever seen!The best puppet show I have ever seen!The best puppet show I have ever seen!

Batflies apparently. Wish had videod the mini film and could show you all, because was one of funniest things ever seen in life!
there for hours, so headed back to hostel, happy with things had seen. Made a really good dinner of chicken and rice. Wow...chicken...meat = such a rareity these days! Made far too much, as usual, but ate it all, as usual. Didn't really fancy TV after that and Dave and Bobby only just surfaced after a whole day in bed! Decided on Monopoly...yeh! One of my favourite games, even though Mum refused to play it with me mostly as a kid. Didn't cheat or anything (that's not my style); just never stopped playing until somebody won = a v.long game in Monopoly. Sure she must have just let me win sometimes! Started game at 9:30 and still playing at 1am. Took all those hours to bankrupt Bobby and buy nearly everything on board. Me and Deb stopped then, happy that had bankrupt the guy that works in a bank at home and deals with money and investments for a living. Brilliant! Revelled in glory of victory, then crept off to bed, in pitch black room with everyone asleep. Lucky had own individual lights on bed. Managed to just find covers and tuck self in, falling to sleep in matter of
Dressing up CornerDressing up CornerDressing up Corner

Just like when we were little. You can't beat a pink dress from the 80's, a red puffball jacket and a friend dressed as a cross between Superman and Crusty the Clown.
minutes 😊


20/2/09= Rain = Back to back Bourne

Had another good sleep and didn’t wake up until 9am…woo hoo! When did eventually wake up and get up out of bed, was to the sound of rain…boo! Snoozed until 9:30, excited about possibility of a ‘bed day’, then gave in to rumblings of belly and got up for breakfast. Deb already up and Bobby came down too. Had breakfast and chatted for a while and tried to make plans for day. Had thought about visiting Botanical gardens across city and walking round because supposed to be beautiful, but not just spitting outside, absolutely throwing it down. Plans cancelled. Was a T.V. and internet day. Went to get ready at 10:30 and find library = hopefully free internet. Made plans to meet guys again at 3pm and do a marathon session watching all 3 Bourne films. Do love the Bourne films.

Only a 5min walk to library, but really cold and got completely wet through; definitely a staying in day! Totally disappointed when did finally find library to discover that was not free internet at all. In fact, was most expensive internet in whole city! Thought library was supposed to be there to provide a service to community, not to rip them off! (Not that we are the community I suppose). Left library morally disgraced and went back to information centre that had seen had the internet at more ‘reasonable’ price. Queued for 15mins just to get a ticket for internet, then spent 2hours on, trying to catch up with everything still behind with. Blog = total treadmill effect…just keeps going and going and can never catch up. Wiped out and hungry by end of it and trekked back to hostel in rain; still raining! Late, but guys late too, so didn’t matter. Made chicken soup and toast (v.rainy day meal), then sat in TV room to reserve it. Awesome TV room at YHA Wellington; huge screen, comfy sofas and just like a cinema. Really good!

Guys got back and put first of 3 films on. Hadn’t seen it in ages, so went down really well. 2hrs later, still feeling good and put next film straight on. Seen this one more often, but still enjoyed it. When that one finished though and faced with prospect of another 2 1/2 hrs Bourne…starting to feel bit Bourned out! Had yoghurt and fruit snack to push through and prepared for final installment. My favourite one usually, but finished me off today! At 10:30, with 3 2hr+ films watched back to back, went straight to bed exhausted…more tired than when did 19km Tongariro Crossing a few days ago. Fell straight to sleep as soon as head hit pillow. Laziness really does breed laziness!





Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb