3 Hire Cars, 2 Hotels and a Sick Bag on a Ferry


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
March 4th 2006
Published: March 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

KaichuckiKaichuckiKaichucki

Slightly more attractive from this angle (post sailing)
<>

... think it just about sums up our Wellington Experience so far ...

Our ferry crossing - a scenic mosey along the Marlborough Sounds and across the Cook Straits - ended up being delayed by 11 hours and became a less-than-enjoyable day out. Suffice to say that our boat, the 'Kaitaki' has since been renamed the 'Kaichucki'. Never have we witnessed so many sick bags in synchronised use in such a small space. It was made even more memorable as the boat was packed to capacity and our close neighbours were some of the illest having been swigging back the red wine only minutes before the rocking and rolling really got going. Mmmmm. That'll learn 'em.

On the bright side - we did discover that the previous crossing had been even more spectacular. Their 3 hour trip had taken over 8 hours and people, furniture (and cars below deck) were 'thrown all over the place' (according to eye witness accounts). Sounds much more fun.

Finally landed on North Island soil (concrete) at midnight - rather than the intended midday. Queued up for an hour to get our new hire car - only to
Wellington HarbourWellington HarbourWellington Harbour

Looks fine from this safe distance
then discover it had a flat tyre. Queued for another hour to get a duff 'old man's jag' type replacement with a driver seat that didn't adjust. Kool. Thank crunchie for automatics. Fortunately, we were told we could swop it over in the morning (didn't he know it was already?!)

Ah well. Onto our hotel, which we found after 45 minutes of driving around Wellington (distance from port to lobby - 3km). We'd called ahead earlier to advise of our delay and reconfirm the booking. In true Kiwi style, we were assured this was not a problem. Grand.

Not. We arrived to learn that our room had become unavailable as a result of a 'maintenance issue'. Pprrpfh. Fortunately our significant insider hotel experience - (Crossroads/Fawlty Towers/Hotel Babylon) enabled us to push the point and finally we got the truth - they'd sold our room to someone else. Cheers, thanks alot. We eventually accepted the only option - a 'relocation package'. It turned out to be a dingy 9x9' hovel in downtown Wellington - conveniently located next door to a strip joint, adult store and all night 'dancing/fighting on the street' club/bar. Yayyyyy! (Gosh sooooo grumpy eh? In our
Japanese Taiko DrummersJapanese Taiko DrummersJapanese Taiko Drummers

Hands up who felt queasy on the ferry crossing?
defence, we were a wee bit exhausted and still had sea legs...)

Can't moan too much (well can but we're over it now). Despite 3 hours sleep we did eventually get the hotel to refund us in full for our inconvenience PLUS pay for all costs in said grotel. Funny how 'cashbacks' make you much more prepared to put up with blessed inconveniences...

So our first - and now last - day in Wellington became very laid back. Visited Te Papa (National) Museum on the harbour, which was excellent. It was made even more memorable by some live performances of traditional Japanese Taiko Drumming and Martial Art displays. We also spent some time watching the Women's World Cup Cycling Challenge that was whizzing around the streets of Wellington. We were gutted to discover our late entries had been rejected out of hand as we are now officially termed 'offroaders'. Prrrfph. 120km felt like too short a distance for us anyways.

Consoled ourselves by ambling from shops to cafes to dinner at a great Malaysian restaurant near the harbour before retiring to our shoebox.

Oh yes, and one more thing ... how come no-one had the good
Wellington City - The Tourist SnapWellington City - The Tourist SnapWellington City - The Tourist Snap

Proof that we did visit - even if we didn't stay long ...
manners to update us (ok me) on the Carling Cup Final result?! 4-0 was it? Thank goodness for a ferry delay and subsequent required purchase of the Weekly Telegraph... I wonder what other nuggets of home news you're holding back from us? Updates gladly welcomed.

Ciao for now,
K&N xx

PS Yes, photos are rubbish. Do ya think we were in any fit state really?!

Advertisement



7th March 2006

Only two more weeks
Well, you are certainly keeping us all happy with your wonderful notes and photos. Have posted off at least four sets to friends without computers and Barbara is over the moon, she can't believe you are doing all that you are doing. Hope after all this you are able to relax at times and enjoy the rest. It is raining hard here, but it seems like you are having a mixture of climate too. Just discovered the comments on old journals today, which are good to read, miss you, but so pleased you are enjoying al of this, Love Mumxx
7th March 2006

Hi! You Two!!!
The thing is, I thought my comments weren't getting thro' cos'I hadn't registered and I wasn't about to waste my irreplaceable wit on thin air so I quit half way through. We are really enjoying your blogs and the pix ain't bad either. Keep it up! Latest news...Little Steeping beat Great Steeping in the premier league of the marbles marathon.

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb