Happy Christmas!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
December 25th 2008
Published: December 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It was brilliant to have such a short flight, just 45 minutes and no jet lag or tiredness. Beccy was there to meet us and after a minor disaster that was rectified, I bet someone will tell the tale because I am not as it involves me! Wellington seems like an attractive waterside capital with hills rolling up from the bays and hillside properties nestled up high. Almost a Mediterranean feel, but kind of neater!

Beccy and Dave live in Silverstream, Upper Hutt about 20 minutes out of Wellington, which is really attractive and has a real village feel about it. Beautiful gardens too Jill! Big blue and white agapanthus and clematus of all colours, which in December seems just crazy!

After settling in and with the dentists decision to leave Mark's tooth alone for now we had a great day on Christmas eve at Te Papa museum in Wellington. It is a modern and really interactive, the children loved it. The worlds largest squid is displayed here after being caught in Antarctica by NZ fisherman. In the morning I had managed to zoom round and finish my Christmas shopping so all was set I think....

One last treat was in store on Christmas eve off to the cinema NZ style. We went to a very small local cinema with a difference. There was only about 5 rows but each had sofas in with a little wooden divide between each to put, wait for it, your beer, wine or whatever you bought from the cafe to take in with you. You could even buy pudding, now thats our kind of cinema ladies! We saw Madagascar 2 which was quite good, especially in the surroundings.

We spent Christmas at Beccy's and Dave's, with Christine and Mike, Dave's parents and Hazel and Matt, Dave's sister and boyfriend. We were treated to an amazing array of dishes off the bbq, like sausages and fish kebabs together with turkey, roast potatoes and salad. All were delicious as well as an amazing assortment of puddings, pavlova, trifle and fresh strawberries . With the warm weather the boys were able to go outside and play with their small remote control cars I had picked up for them yesterday. Considering we are far away they have been extremely lucky with the gifts they have received. I had a lovely jade necklace, bought locally as well as some yummy kiwi chocolate. It's been a different day for sure and though we have missed our usually James Christmas we have been with lovely people today and definitely enjoyed a different experience.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 39; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb