Ferdinand Magellan seriously has nothing on us ...


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
September 21st 2007
Published: September 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Driving on the left side of the road ...Driving on the left side of the road ...Driving on the left side of the road ...

You can see the intensity on my face.
because we survived the first major phase of our travels ... the North Island extravaganza road trip!

(To Rachel’s request, I will stop saying “I” as if I’m the only one on this adventure. So “us,” “we” and “our” will be making more appearances.)

Now, since "we" just finished the journey … here are the stats:

- Number of places visited: ~17 (Highlights: Paihia, Whangarei, Opononi, Kaipara Harbour, Dargaville, Hahei, Cathedral Cove, Hot Water Beach, Central Auckland, Ponsonby, Waiheke Island, Napier, Taupo, Waitomo, Rotorua, Whitianga)
- Number of trip days: 14
- Number of extreme sports: 4 (zorbing, sand boarding, driving in New Zealand and caving)
- Number of scraps between Rachel and Tanner: 3 (which were over a duvet-less bed, an interrupted monopoly game and a misunderstood man in a Tui jacket)
- Number of hours in our rented Honda Corolla: ~30
- Amount owed to Ace Rental because of a chipped front window: 65 New Zealand dollars
- Number of times Rachel drove: 4
- Number of times Tanner regretted letting Rachel drive: 4
- Number of sheep sightings: Trillion
- Average price of a pint: $2.50
- Average price of a meal: $6.50
- Average
Kaipara Harbour LookoutKaipara Harbour LookoutKaipara Harbour Lookout

This is what driving in New Zealand looks like.
price of gas: $50
- Average speed limit on highway: 62 miles per hour

And superlatives:

Best hostel: The Funky Green Voyager (http://www.bbh.co.nz/listings.aspx?bbh=detail&aid=217&hid=6087) … this place had a fun staff and a pretty nice kitchen. Some of the guests would make muffins and sell them for a buck. Plus, the rooms were mega-spacious.

Worst hostel: Hahei Holiday Resort (http://www.haheiholidays.co.nz/) … If by “holiday,” they mean “dung-heap” … and by “resort,” they mean “refrigerator” … then the name says it all. It was a cold and desperate time.

Best breakfast: Huhu Café in Waitomo (http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikatotimes/4191250a15575.html)

Best muffin: Luna Café in Hahei (http://www.aatravel.co.nz/new-zealand/Hahei_Dining.html) ... it was raspberry and white chocolate.

Best extreme sport: Driving in New Zealand (http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/overseasdrivers/driving-in-nz.html) … besides being completely different, the roads in New Zealand are comically curvy. In fact, the amount of straight roads is directly proportional to the amount of times Rachel offered to drive.

Nicest beach: Cathedral Cove (http://www.whitianga.co.nz/hahei.html) … but it’s about an hour hike to the beach.

Coolest thermal experience: Hot Water Beach (http://www.whitianga.co.nz/hwbeach.html) … the most natural hot tub I have ever experienced. All one has to do is dig a hole, and the thermal
Bon Jovi ...Bon Jovi ...Bon Jovi ...

in all his man glory.
excitement begins.

Rachel’s proudest moment: Caving (http://www.waitomo.com/black-water-rafting.aspx) … we did the Black Abyss tour, which basically involves everything from climbing, falling and rafting (in a cave, underground). It was one of the most physically demanding things on the trip, and Rachel put her claustrophobia aside … we should all be very proud of her.

Tanner’s proudest moment: Living through Rachel’s rendition of Bon Jovi’s “Livin’ on a Prayer” … the iPod broke, and it was either that or “Gettin’ Jiggy Wit It.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

New pictures are up on snapfish.com … don’t forget to e-mail Rachel (rachel.e.frankel@gmail.com) or me (tannerslayden@gmail.com) if you want to see all of them.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Boat trip through the Bay of IslandsBoat trip through the Bay of Islands
Boat trip through the Bay of Islands

Why are we always so excited?
Sand Surfing ...Sand Surfing ...
Sand Surfing ...

Do I even have to say how cool this was?
The worst hostel ever ...The worst hostel ever ...
The worst hostel ever ...

my feet were so cold.
Hot Water BeachHot Water Beach
Hot Water Beach

I dug that hole.
Wai-o-TapuWai-o-Tapu
Wai-o-Tapu

The thermal wonderland of Rotorua
Cavin'!Cavin'!
Cavin'!

Since it's pitch black in a cave ... you will have to use your imagination.
Quizo Bronze!Quizo Bronze!
Quizo Bronze!

It might not sound like much to you. But Rachel and I got third place in a bar quiz in Napier. We beat a team that included (no lie) nine people.


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.073s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb