A Bit Of New Zealand Travel.


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
April 22nd 2021
Published: April 22nd 2021
Edit Blog Post

Lets Go Biking.Lets Go Biking.Lets Go Biking.

Bikes are ready, but are the cyclists?
Well, we have been in Wanaka to spend time around the Central Otago area with Viv and Charlie. The intention was to do some cycle trails, see some new areas and sights, eat some special meals and drink some special wines. Sounded good to me. Charlie has introduced me to a few of the trails around Wanaka over the last few years and I love it there. After a couple of rides around the local area we headed off to Cromwell and Lake Dunstan. Charlie, Viv, Di and I biked along the shores of Lake Dunstan and arrived at our accommodation, Bannockburn Lodge late afternoon. Great ride and not to exhausting, with fantastic views across the lake to the vineyards and the hill country above. An evening meal at the Stoker Room Bistro bar, which was very very good, accompanied by some very good Otago Pinot Noir. Love Otago reds.

A day off from riding saw us doing a long walk around the Bannockburn Gold Sluicings area not far from Cromwell. So much of the gold rush history to be seen. Starting in the mid 1800's and continuing for 50 years, the use of water to blast away the excess
Viv, Di and Charlie.Viv, Di and Charlie.Viv, Di and Charlie.

Off we go around Lake Dunstan.
soil has left a large moonscape area which has a beauty of its own.

Staying the night at a small town called Omakau where we had a great evening with a group of Charlie and Vivs friends from Wanaka, we set out with some of them in the morning to ride a leg of the Otago Rail Trail. I have always thought that this would be an interesting ride and it was great to get a taste of it. It does not surprise me that this is one of NZ's most popular rides.

For the next 8 days we stayed an an appartment in Queenstown in a complex called The Ridges. Nice to have a base to work from and we enjoyed some great rides around Lake Wakatipu through this beautiful area. The bonus of the Autumn colours starting to show was a highlight as the whole area is renowned for them. We were blessed with good weather while there, and of course some great meals accompanied by some fantastic wines. So lucky. The highlight for the trip would probably be an evening cruise on Lake Wakatipu aboard the historic steamship Earnslaw which is a very old steamer
Time For A Break.Time For A Break.Time For A Break.

Self, Viv and Charlie having a break for our first coffee at Cromwell.
still suppling a great tourist attraction in Queenstown. We set sail from Queenstown and steamed down the lake to Walter Peak High Country sheep and cattle station. Once there we were presented with an extremely good buffet meal. The selection of first class food was exceptional and the service accompanied by good wine, good company and very interesting desserts made for a meal not to be forgotten. Following this we were moved to a mini stadium for a talk and demonstration of the workings of a sheep station. Very well presented. I couldn't help but think of how well this would be received by overseas tourists who would be given the chance to see sheep dogs doing the job of moving sheep into pens from paddock to paddock. It is good to see that some of our tourist attractions are being well supported by New Zealanders who are taking the opportunity to see their own country during this period of no overseas travel.

We have also spent some time in Taupo and the Hawkes Bay, but have spent lot of time at home where we have caught up on many jobs around the house.

So when will our
Iced Coffee Anyone.Iced Coffee Anyone.Iced Coffee Anyone.

Di chooses this as her sustainance were ever we ride.Along with lots of water.
next event/adventure happen? We will just have to wait and see.

Of course, now that the NZ travel bubble includes Australia, who knows who will visit who.

Safe travels to anyone who is travelling. Pip/Rod


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Yes. I'll Have One.Yes. I'll Have One.
Yes. I'll Have One.

And probably a muffin as well.
That Was Tiring.That Was Tiring.
That Was Tiring.

Di catches a nap after the ride to Brannockburn.
Winery.Winery.
Winery.

A typical scene around this area: lots of wineries.
Brannockburn Lodge.Brannockburn Lodge.
Brannockburn Lodge.

Charlie loading the bikes up to move to our next destination
Harvest Time.Harvest Time.
Harvest Time.

A winery near Brannockburn. This could be a scene from France, Spain or any where that grapes are important.
Gold Sluiceings.Gold Sluiceings.
Gold Sluiceings.

This area in Brannockburn covers a huge area. The history is amazing.
Get Set, Go.Get Set, Go.
Get Set, Go.

Charlie and I all set to ride some of the Otago Rail Trail from Omakau.
Queenstown.Queenstown.
Queenstown.

Di out for a walk above Lake Whakatipu.
Queenstown.Queenstown.
Queenstown.

Enjoying a beer and the view. Or am I just playing a tune on the bottle.
As Dusk Falls.As Dusk Falls.
As Dusk Falls.

Time to enjoy an Otago Pinot Noir with a magic view. Wonderful.
Queenstown.Queenstown.
Queenstown.

The Remarkable Range is certainly remarkable when viewed in the evening light across the lake.
Back Home.Back Home.
Back Home.

Yacht Regatta on the inlet in front of home. Sitting watching this is so nice with about 40/50 various yachts returning base.
Charlie.Charlie.
Charlie.

On the trail heading around Lake Dunstan.
Traffic Jam.Traffic Jam.
Traffic Jam.

Heading to Cromwell.
Queenstown.Queenstown.
Queenstown.

Sunset from the deck.
Glenorchy.Glenorchy.
Glenorchy.

This sits at the top of Lake Wakatipu and is the gateway to many tramping tracks.
The Top Of The Sluicings.The Top Of The Sluicings.
The Top Of The Sluicings.

Viv and Di enjoy the views over the sluicing.
A Old Hutt. A Old Hutt.
A Old Hutt.

Beautiful setting and well preserved.
Great Stone Work.Great Stone Work.
Great Stone Work.

From inside the Hutt. This was at the Sluicings


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb