Enjoying The End Of Summer At Beautiful Beaches.


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
April 6th 2019
Published: April 5th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Beautiful Cathedral Cove. Beautiful Cathedral Cove. Beautiful Cathedral Cove.

This is one of the biggest tourist attractions, excessable only by boat or walking. The beach is such a great place to swim with lots of small rocky areas to dive from.
Autumn is certainly starting to show her colours. So with the end of the summer fast approaching we set off on a trip to enjoy the last off the summer {and the wine }. Di and I along with Annemarie and Corrado left home and spent a couple of nights in Taupo then headed to one of my favourite areas in NZ. The Coromandal peninsula has always attracted me to it's great coast line with wonderful scenery, coves, estuaries, small towns, big towns, but most of all it's beautiful beaches. Great surf beaches, gentle beaches, popular beaches and my favourite, secluded beaches. I first traveled there with my brother Nick and friend Wayne as a mid teen, enjoying the summer holidays for a few years and always working on the tan. I have returned a number of times over the years with Di and our kids, and as they grew up, with our grandkids, but I am always excited to get back there to enjoy the area.

We had 4 days in Whitianga, were Di and I caught up with our friend Phillip, and Annemarie and Corrado caught up with their friends, Graham and Teresa. Very laid back is a
Waikato River, Taupo.Waikato River, Taupo.Waikato River, Taupo.

This is where a hot stream enters the Waikato River and it creates a beautiful hot area in the river, amongst a lovely setting. I think that most of the people here would be tourists.
good description for Whitianga and I can understand why they have located themselves here, to enjoy the life style. It has a good marina and estuary with the main beach stretching a few kilometres along the coast. It is very central as well, allowing time to enjoy and explore up and down the coast. Graham took us out in his boat and we went down the coast to Cathedral Cove, which is one of the biggest tourist attractions, then out and around the many islands in the area. Also along the beaches that abound between every headland, some only accessible by boat or foot. Good evening meals, good lunches and snacks at the many and varied cafes and restaurants. Great few days and we were a bit reluctant to leave. Di and I then headed down to Mt Maunganui, a very popular surfing beach, where the NZ Surf Champs were to be held. We would have loved to stay to watch these but once again we reluctantly moved on after only a couple of days. Commonly known as "The Mount, the beach is magic. It is a big town with heaps going on, but retains the relaxed holiday feeling and
Refreshments at Whitianga.Refreshments at Whitianga.Refreshments at Whitianga.

Near the Ferry wharf.
is only separated by the harbour, from the city of Tauranga.

We had arranged to drive straight down from here to Gisborne to stay with Warwick for 3 days and then to Hastings to watch Holly's inter school swim meet and Ella's "Tough Kid" event. Great to catch up with Warwick and be in Gisborne again. One day we drove up to Tolaga Bay, walked on the historic wharf, visited a few other beaches and generally enjoyed a relaxing catch up.

Now we are back home to once again catch up on all that needs doing around the house.

As I write this, the weather has diffinantly changed. Winter is upon us. I'm so clad we had this late summer trip. Pip/Rod


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The Lost Springs. Whtianga.The Lost Springs. Whtianga.
The Lost Springs. Whtianga.

A beautiful area that has hot springs, with walkways between, and a cafe/ restaurant.
Natures Sculpter. Natures Sculpter.
Natures Sculpter.

Cathedral Cove.
Lukes Kitchen. Kuaotunu.Lukes Kitchen. Kuaotunu.
Lukes Kitchen. Kuaotunu.

A rustic pub/cafe just 20 minutes north of Whitianga, with great Pizza's, Wine and Beer. A very laid back place to eat and relax.
Hot Water Beach.Hot Water Beach.
Hot Water Beach.

40 minutes south of Whitianga this is one of the "Hottest" tourists attractions with hot springs where you can dig in the sand and the water comes up and fills the hole. Best at low tide.
Testing the Water. Hot Water Beach.Testing the Water. Hot Water Beach.
Testing the Water. Hot Water Beach.

Annemarie and Corrado test the hot water. Unfortunately we when the tide was nearly full. Low tide is certainly the best.
Opito Beach. Opito Beach.
Opito Beach.

Up the coast from Whitianga this is just a long lovely beach that never seems to get crowded.
A Hobbit House.  Matamata.A Hobbit House.  Matamata.
A Hobbit House. Matamata.

Interesting house from the Lord of the Rings films.
Whitianga Waterfront.Whitianga Waterfront.
Whitianga Waterfront.

This whole area is just so lovely.
The Lost Springs. Whitianga.The Lost Springs. Whitianga.
The Lost Springs. Whitianga.

Annemarie strolls through a grotto.
Hahei Beach.Hahei Beach.
Hahei Beach.

Just south of Whitianga this is a very popular beach, and is also the start of the walk over the headlands to Cathedral Cove.
Out To Dinner.Out To Dinner.
Out To Dinner.

Scollop entree. Fantastic.
New Chums BeachNew Chums Beach
New Chums Beach

This is a beautiful secluded beach that is well worth the walk over from Whangapoua beach. {another beauty}. Depending on what book you read, voted as in the top ten beachs in the world or in the top 20 beaches. Or in one book, in the top 100. Your choice.
Di And Phillip.Di And Phillip.
Di And Phillip.

Great to catch up with Phillip and have a coffee every morning. Then Fish and Chips with a number of wines one evening. After living in Whitianga for 5 years, he loves it. I can understand why.
The Mount.The Mount.
The Mount.

The practice runs for the NZ Surf Champs. Another great beach.
The Big and The Small.The Big and The Small.
The Big and The Small.

A surfer waits for the right wave while a cruise ship leaves Tauranga.
Leaving Whitianga.Leaving Whitianga.
Leaving Whitianga.

Di enjoying the ride out on our boat trip.
Cathedral Cove.Cathedral Cove.
Cathedral Cove.

Viewed from the boat.
A Place To Eat.A Place To Eat.
A Place To Eat.

I enjoy these laid back eateries.
Should We?Should We?
Should We?

Warwick and I making a decision in Tolaga Bay. Did we? Nah.
Warwick and Di. Warwick and Di.
Warwick and Di.

Discussing what to order for lunch in Tolaga Bay.


Tot: 0.354s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 25; qc: 85; dbt: 0.1317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb