A little Doom and gloom


Advertisement
Published: March 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Tongariro Crossing


Peter Jackson was insistent that LOTR be filmed in his homeland, and having completed this 17k one day hike, it's easy to see why.

Billed as the finest one day walk in New Zealand, the track winds through a varied volcanic, alpine and bush terrain, representing not only middle-earth but a healthy dose of upper and lower. A fact to which our thighs still attest!

For the first time on our NZ travels however, the weather was not favourable. The wind howled and the clouds kept rolling in making the climb up the shingle paths somewhat tricky. It also meant that a possible side trip to the top of Mt. Ngauruhoe (better known as 'Mount Doom' to the hoardes of LOTR pilgrims that make the trail) was not advisable. Even in good weather, it a 3hr round trip. Of course, some of them still did. The pull of the Ring is still very strong...!

After what feels like a death defying journey down fast moving scree (high winds and sheer drops making this part a little scary), we are over the most taxing part of the track. It is a relief to be on firmer footing and not having to scream at each other.

The barren, volcanic landscapes were certainly dramatic but it's after the highest point of the trek that the scenery is at it's most impresive. High on the plateau, the Emerald lakes were sparkling and clear. They stand out like jewels against the dark lunar setting.

After the lakes we start to go down, down, down. A few hours of this and the knees are really starting to throb. We wind for some time through bush, and without the drama of the earlier scenery to motivate us on it does become heavy going.

We finish in about 6 1/2 hours including a few breaks for lunch and the odd sit down to squeeze some life back into tired toes. Our bus doesn't come for another hour and a half, so M lays down exhuasted and snoozes her aches away.

A good day, very satisfying to finish. But the finest scenery in NZ? That is a lot to live up to. We look forward to exploring the rest.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Mount DoomMount Doom
Mount Doom

Shrouded in cloud
Martine, TongariroMartine, Tongariro
Martine, Tongariro

Windy Miller I tell you.
Still going down, TongariroStill going down, Tongariro
Still going down, Tongariro

steam rising from a thermal stream
Steven, TongariroSteven, Tongariro
Steven, Tongariro

him in front, me hobbling behind. Frodo and Sam.
M at the end, TongariroM at the end, Tongariro
M at the end, Tongariro

Very very cream crackered.


9th March 2006

hat
I love your hat steve
2nd April 2006

I love your hat too martine!!

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb