NZ - Day 2 - Lake Taupo, Tongariro National Park, and the Countryside


Advertisement
Published: December 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Waitomo-Wellington


We left Waitomo around 8 AM and headed to Huka Falls on the north side of Lake Taupo. On this drive it began to get mountainous and has been that way for most of our trip so far (eight days in).

Huka Falls is where the aqua-colored Waikato River flows over a narrow 11 meter ledge. The gap it flows through before falling is relatively narrow, so the water is turbulent and forceful passing through it and over the ledge.

We walked on a bridge across the river and down a trail to get a good view of the falls. We then continued on our drive to Lake Taupo.

The turquoise Lake Taupo is New Zealand's largest lake. We stopped at the town of Taupo beside the lake to have lunch and walk through the town. We ended up having sushi at Kissa-Kai Cafe & Restaurant. We also stopped at a local fudge shop and bought fudge and Turkish Delight (at which point Vanessa attempted to betray us all into the hands of the White Witch).

We then drove to Tongariro National Park... aka the Land of Mordor (mostly... some of Mordor was also filmed outside Queenstown...
Tongariro NP - 2Tongariro NP - 2Tongariro NP - 2

Vanessa and Robert kidding around.
I think) from the Lord of the Rings films. While driving, we could see the bases of Mt. Tongariro, Mt. Ngauruhoe (aka Mt. Doom from LOTRs), and Mt. Ruapehu. Clouds covered there tops and provided for a more ominous feel.

We stopped at the information center in the park and decided our next course of action. We then drove up the road higher up to Mt. Ruapehu and hiked around a bit. The terrain was very rocky... not many plants, lots of moss, and generally dark. Perfect Mordor feel.

We also could see Mt. Ngauruhoe except that its top was still cloud covered.

We then drove down the mountain and hiked a bit more on small trails before continuing our drive south to the town of Wanganui. On the way was nearly constant farmland and sheep and cattle fields. The terrain was slightly jagged and mountainous and yet covered in green grass. We made multiple stops to take in the scenery.

In Wanganui, we walked through the small downtown area and had dinner at one of the restaurants. It was then a few more hours of driving, this time in the dark, to Wellington. We arrived in Wellington around 11 PM and checked into the hotel for the night before heading onto Picton in the morning.

So, that is the short version of Day 2. I have a lot of catching up to do on the blog writing since, as I write this, it is Day 9. It has been a very full road-trip/adventure/vacation. I should have a lot more posted once home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Lakeside - 3Lakeside - 3
Lakeside - 3

Lake Taupo
Tongariro NPTongariro NP
Tongariro NP

aka The Land of Mordor
Huka Falls - 3Huka Falls - 3
Huka Falls - 3

Robert and Vanessa
MossMoss
Moss

Tongariro National Park
Tongariro NP - 4Tongariro NP - 4
Tongariro NP - 4

Robert and Vanessa
Moss - 2Moss - 2
Moss - 2

Tongariro NP
Plant LifePlant Life
Plant Life

Tongariro NP


30th December 2008

Looks like fun!
Hi Henry, I always wanted to go to New Zealand. Not only is it a beautiful country with lots of hiking and photo opportunities, I'd like to pay homage to the Ashford company that made my Traveller DD spinning wheel. (http://www.ashford.co.nz/spinning/spinning-frameset.htm). The glow worm cave sounds fascinating!
2nd January 2009

More NZ
Those waterfall pictures look so beautiful. Huka Falls looks gorgeous and dangerous all at the same time! It's amazing how nature can be so powerful, beautiful and dangerous!

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb