Greetings from Middle Earth!


Advertisement
Published: February 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Mt. DoomMt. DoomMt. Doom

This is Mt. Ngawaka, the mountain used as Mt. Doom. Not so "doomy" right now...
Hi all!
We attempted to send a blog last night but our wireless card must have run out of minutes just at the wrong time. :-(

Yesterday, we did the Volcanic Loop and ventured into Middle Earth. We were right there with Mt. Doom, climbed the rocks of Mordor and even visited the Ithilien Camp with the waterfall and beech trees. One of the volcanoes was even venting steam yesterday - yikes.

It's Wednesday morning right now and we have an easy day of laundry, extreme putt putt and going out to dinner at the local Italian restaurant. Turangi was a government town formed with workers to build the dams and half the residents were Italian. We figure this might be a good restaurant to try.

We check out of here in the morning and head towards Wellington. Will stay there a night and then start working our way up and around the island.

Hope all is well and that you're enjoying some of our adventures.
Love,
Aunt Susan, Nana and Pop


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

MordorMordor
Mordor

The rocks and cliffs of Mordor.
Mordor BattleMordor Battle
Mordor Battle

Aunt Susan looking mean at Mordor.
Above the fallsAbove the falls
Above the falls

Nana and Pop above the falls of the Ithilien Camp.
WaterfallWaterfall
Waterfall

At the Ithilien Camp (Tawhai Falls in real life).
Grand ChateauGrand Chateau
Grand Chateau

Built in 1929 as a deluxe homebase for skiiers.
Grand SalonGrand Salon
Grand Salon

Nana and Pop relax in the Grand Salon where the Queen Mum has also relaxed.
This is NOT WedgieThis is NOT Wedgie
This is NOT Wedgie

As we were driving home, we came across this sign. At first we thought the Dept. of Transportation had a sense of humor but discovered it was just graffiti. :-)


19th February 2008

Kiwi
Love that sign with the Kiwi! Looks like your trip is going well. Have fun!
21st February 2008

Gollum, Orcs and Queen Mum oh my!
Looks like you guys are having a ball! Let's see a pic of Wedgie...

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb