A Canadian in New Zealand - Day 20- Geothermal Hy, Orakei Korako Cave and Thermal Park, Huka Falls, Taupo


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
April 19th 2016
Published: April 19th 2016
Edit Blog Post

More geothermal wonders today as I headed south from Rotorua to Taupo via the Geothermal Hy As the name suggests lots of such activity en route. First stop was Kerosene Creek. This is a natural thermal pool where the water reaches temperatures of 30 C. There is a small waterfall where they have carved places to sit for a relaxing spa-like experience. A very pretty area with the steam rising from the heated stream. A wonderful diversion and only a short walk to the waterfall from the carpark. Next off to the Crater Lake Walk in the Rainbow Valley Scenic Reserve about a km from Kerosene Creek. A short hike (30 minutes return) takes you to a crater lake filled with water. In close proximity, there are also the mud pools. An amazing area of steaming mud buubling and once in a while erupting spitting the hot mud everywhere. A sight to see. On the way to Taupo, there is the Orakei Korako Cave and Thermal Park. This is "arguably one of the best thermal areas left in New Zealand". A very well maintained boardwalk guides you throughout the attraction to see mud pools, silica terraces, geysers, boiling pools and the wonderful colours of the silica. It took about an hour and a half to leisurely walk the park. Additionally, at the end of the trail there is a path to a cave entrance. An excellent attraction. My final stop of the day was Huka Falls in Taupo. Although not large in height, given the way the water travels to the falls thru narrow rock faces, the amount of water rushing by is enormous (200,000 L per second). A long day but saw lots.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



19th April 2016
Mud pools

Bubbling Mud Pots!
Hope you went into the mud baths, very good for your skin! Pretty smelly though.

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb