Taupo and Napier New Zealand Jan 23rd to 25th


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
March 15th 2010
Published: March 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Napier Napier Napier

One of the buildings downtown in Napier
When one reads the activities around Taupo there is bungee jumping , ski diving and over activities that remind Mare and I that we have achieved that level of maturity that we are more interested in less adrenalin pumping activities. After a long walk along the side of the lake we retired to our hotel overlooking the lake and later had one of the best dinners we have had in along time.

Off to Napier, the scenery continues to impress, everything some shade of green, and the terrain is never boring. Napier was destroyed by an earthquake and resulting fires in 1931. The town has rebuilt itself and is now considered to be the Art Deco Capital of the world. In the 1920’s to the beginning of the Second World War, Art Deco was the architectural style, so the town was rebuilt in this style. The town has both an interesting waterfront and downtown. Our hotel was the County Hotel which has been totally restored in 1920 splendor. The only problem we encountered was on our last night there was a heavy downpour and the roof leaked into our room.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

NapierNapier
Napier

One feature of the Art Deco style is that a number of buildings had rounded corners
NapierNapier
Napier

The entrance to this building looks like something you would have seen in an old Hollywwod movie.
NapierNapier
Napier

The band stand on the boardwalk


Tot: 0.349s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 18; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0996s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb