Huka prawns and hot pools


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
February 5th 2010
Published: February 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Short drive(s) today!! Up to Lake Taupo (which was huge even compared to other lakes here) and then on towards Roturua with a few stops on the way. First stop Taupo but it was too early and nothing much open so decided to move on to the awesome Huka falls where bright blue water pounds through a tiny corridor of rock slamming against the sides as it goes. Nice. Then a change of pace at Prawn Park where we went fishing for the first time in our lives with the incentive that they would cook anything we caught for free. Loz didn't think her patience would last long but it was oddly addictive and we ended up staying for two and a half hours in which time we had caught...wait for it...two prawns!! (Both, we might add caught by Loz). Daz will never forget the squeal of delight followed by much flapping of hands and arms as she hauled the first prawn out of the water, and even more so when it wouldn't stop flapping around on the deck!! Pictures prove the tenacity of the little sucker but not the size of the ones that got away from Daz. Honestly, they were this big!!

After shuffling in to the restaurant to ask for our measly 2 prawn catch to be cooked (and eating it) we were off to Orakei Karako thermal reserve. By this time it was very, very hot and going to a geothermal site with little to eat (we did have some lunch as well as the prawns...) may not have been the best idea. It was too hot. And smelly (sulphur). But definitely interesting. We were still feeling from the walk from the day before and after an hour and a half of going up and down steps around the mud pools and geysers we were ready for the hot pool in the lovely grassy campsite and another barbie. This time lamb. Mmm-mmm!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



7th February 2010

Hilarious! Can just imagine Loz squealing with delight at her prawnie! hope he tasted nice! xxxxx

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb