Taupo


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
July 29th 2009
Published: July 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

21st May 2009

Today Alex was all up for skydiving, the reason we had stopped here in Taupo. Elaine was not so up for jumping in with two feet and wanted more information before taking the plunge, so she convinced him to wait. After a lie in to recover, we went to a skydive centre to get more info. Thankfully a prep talk was going on which we both sat through and this eased some of Elaines doubts, so we booked ourselves in for the next day. To take Elaine's mind off what we had just done, we took a walk up to the Huka falls, not as spectacular as Iguazu but the water was a fantastic bluey-turquisey colour.


22nd May 2009

Yesterday was the pefect weather for a skydive, today was not! After all the mental preparation we were both disappointed but told to come back in a couple of hours. Again put off by bad weather we were beginning to lose hope, and Elaine's fear started to creep back in. We spent the day walking around the lake. Our last phone call to the centre unexpectedly gave us the green light to jump. Nervously we made our way there. Our gear was strapped on and we were ready to board the plane. The view going up in the plane appeared spectacular but as were just about to jump out of a pertectly good plane that wasn't what our minds were focusing on. Elaine had the joy of going first and as the plane hit 12000ft, it jolted making Elaine scream. After a problem with the door (there was a small struggle in getting it open) and informing her tandum jumper she didn't want to go she was sitting on the edge of the plane, head back, legs dangling before being pushed out and quickly flying out of sight of Alex who was next up. The freefall was amazing, the wind gushing past your face at 200km/h is the only way that you can sense you are falling. With a quick tug on a cord you are soon gently gliding back toward earth, free to enjoy the stunning views of the lake below and the surrounding snow-capped moutains. Landing back on solid ground the adrenaline rush kept us going for the rest of the day and we both would be happy to do it all over again. We had plans to walk the Tongario Pass but with bad weather forecast the pass was closed so it was time to make our way down to Wellington with a sleepover at Palmeston North.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb