On the road-NORTH ISLAND


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
May 12th 2009
Published: May 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Glow worm cavesGlow worm cavesGlow worm caves

We wernt allowed to take photos in the caves.
I had the privalige of my friend coming over from Oklahoma to see our Beautiful Country. As I'm not working at the moment I was able to take him around a few places. First of all we went to a place called Waitomo. This is where you can go deep within the caves and witness one of the most breathtaking things I have seen in my life. Creatures called glow worms. As well as seeing all the rocks and formations in the cave you get onto a boat and take a ride where as you look up into the blackness of the caves roof you see all these tiny little lights, much like a sky full of stars on a clear night. It is absolutely stunning. If you take a trip there it is about 3 and a half hours drive from Auckland and it cost about $40 pp to enter one of the caves.
We decided to make our way over to Taupo which is where the largest lake in the country is located. It is beautiful there and one of the mountains nearby was snowcapped. We ran into a hotel on fire which was a sight to see and then as we were heading back to Auckland we took a detour and stopped at the Huka falls.
These are magnificent. Some people raft or kayak down them but it seems very scary! Anyway the water was like crystal rapids with an amazing colour of blue. Just close to the Huka falls (which were FREE) was the Craters of the Moon which is a geothermal area and it is so cool! This costs $6pp to get in, and it is worth it!! It is very cool to see steam rising out of the ground all around you and bubbling mud in the craters! This is only a few minutes from Taupo.
If you are a snowboarder or skiier and in NZ in winter the mountain (mt ruapehu) is close by to taupo so you could do both at the same time! Very worth it. Well I hope you get to witness these extraordinary things I have been blessed to see.
Many blessings in your travels,

Love Prue 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.046s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb