Manawapou Viaduct, South Taranaki


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taranaki
December 30th 2021
Published: December 30th 2021
Edit Blog Post

16km north of Patea and 12 km south of Hawera is a rest area at the bottom of the Manawapou Hill. To the left of the rest area is a locked farm gate with a stile next to it. Climb over the stile and you will find yourself on the old Ingahape Rd which closed many years ago, but is still sealed so is perfect for walking on. Follow it for 1km and you will arrive at the Manawapou Viaduct.

The viaduct is impressive and well worth the easy 20 minute return walk. The hardest part is getting over the stile!

Along the way you will be amazed at how quiet and peaceful the walk is. Apart from a few birds, there is complete silence and it is wonderful. It is hard to believe you are close to the main road.

We were disappointed when we realised we couldn't get right up to the viaduct due to a farm gate and a paddock full of inquisitive stock. But we were still able to take photos and just enjoyed the walk.

This is a walk I will take my grandchildren (6 and 8) on as it is short enough for them not to fuss and get bored and they will enjoy looking for spider webs and rabbits along the way. They will be able to run and make noise and be safe. What more could a tired grandmother ask for? If I was fit enough to lift their bikes over the stile, I would let them ride to the viaduct.

I am old enough to remember the washout at the viaduct way back in 1966. All the locals had turned out to have a look and finally one bright spark pointed out that if the viaduct went, so would the Manawapou Bridge and we would all be stranded, unable to return to Mokoia. Good point! We all left in a hurry.

Another treasured memory is going dealing in the Manawatu River with my dad and uncle. The eels were huge and very good to eat.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0673s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb