The Waitangi - a shipwreck at Patea, South Taranaki


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taranaki
May 31st 2021
Published: May 31st 2021
Edit Blog Post

Patea is my home town and a place I still spend a great deal of time in. Every time I go home I clamber over the sand to visit the Waitangi, a steamer owned by the Patea Co-operative Freezing Company, which attempted to cross the bar but ran aground on 5 May 1923.

Every visit is different. Sometimes I can barely see any part of her. Sometimes the tides have washed away more of the sand. But I have never seen her as exposed as she currently is. Being able to stand on her, while the sea swirled in around us, was surreal and very special.

She is quite easy to find. When you arrive at Mana Bay you will see an orange lifebelt on a post to your right. Simply walk past this, head onto the main beach, aim for the sea and you will see her on your left. My only suggestion is that you take care walking round her as there are sharp pieces of metal sticking up through the sand or lurking just below the surface. The wreck herself also has sharp edges so make sure children don't climb onto her for their sake and hers.



https://www.nzshipmarine.com/nodes/view/1383 This link has a photo of the Waitangi when she ran aground.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0685s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb