DAY 14 NEW PLYMOUTH (Lake Rotomaru) to HAWERA


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taranaki » Oakura
February 14th 2023
Published: February 14th 2023
Edit Blog Post


Prominent building, New Plymouth
I was awoken by Jane calling out, “I’m scared. I’m scared.” Soothing words of encouragement had her settled in no time!

The van was being, and had been, buffeted by strong winds and the howl from the trees was indeed a little worrying. The trees were tall, flexible and bent and swayed in the wind without snapping or being uprooted. The water on the lake was being whipped into tornado like twisters as they sped across the lake at high speed. Very fortunate to be witnessing nature providing such entertainment. This continued the whole time we were camped.

We departed Lake Rotomaru at approximately 8am hoping to reach Ohawe Beach campsite. We did and we rejected the site. The wind was far too ferocious with little protection. We headed to Hawera and a caravan park where we bunkered down in a very protective spot. Even being so protected the motor home is still rockin’ and rollin’.

It was not far from New Plymouth to Hawera. We sped along at 60kph or less for the entire journey … no one else was on the road … not one single camper or motor home or caravan. A few electrical contractors

White Hart Pub, New Plymouth
speeding to various villages was about it.

We deviated to Cape Egmont and the Egmont Lighthouse. No humans to be seen. Unreal. Wild sea and wind. Climbed the steps to the lighthouse and took in the wild view. It was very difficult to stand and on a few occasions the wind nearly knocked us to the ground. No exaggeration. However, we loved it and were like little children as we screamed into the wind. Back in the motor home and it was cuppa and shared apple crumble pie time. The ‘shared’ part did not impress me!

We were expecting to be in a calmer place being away from Auckland but it has not been the case. The wind is stronger here than in New Plymouth. Only a few minutes being settled in the park, the town emergency siren sounded for a prolonged period, for certain sections to muster. The police had the situation in hand.

The scenery has been just beautiful. Even though overcast and drizzly rain, it hasn’t blotted out the lush, green undulating small hills and the farmhouses dotted along the way. The streams have been fast running with open rapids over rocks and boulders.

Clock Tower, New Plymouth


At-the-moment, the rain is coming down heavily … horizontal to the ground! Tells you something about the wind. Forecast to ease up at 12 midnight. Well, now for Valentines dinner xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Egmont Lighthouse


"I'm not coming out. Too windy and too cold."


Loved the "freshness".



On the way up.


Says it all.





From the lighthouse.


Prominent flower below lighthouse.


Preparing the cuppa.


Opunake Beach ... wild today.




Opunake boat ramp area.


Opunake beach and boat ramp area.


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb