Wellington and Rotorua


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
November 18th 2014
Published: November 22nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

When we arrived in Wellington we drove to North to Waikanae to stay for a couple of days with Lynette a relative of Rebecca's which was great. Thanks Lynette we really enjoyed our stay, lovely food and great hospitality.

We spent a wet day in Wellington on Monday visiting the Te Papa museum and negotiating our first heavy traffic for several weeks before another relaxed evening and delicious meal. We then set off for Napier on Tuesday. Arriving in Napier late afternoon, we found accommodation for the night then had a look around. If you like Art Deco you will love Napier as large parts of it were rebuilt in the 1930s following an earthquake.

Drove on to Rotorua on Wednesday. Stopped at Wai-o-tapu en route, a natural thermal area of hot springs, bubbling mud and boiling hot pools coloured by an array of different minerals so each was a different colour and smell. It was amazing seeing all the different colours, but the highlight was definitely the steaming 'champagne pool' which was 62 metres deep and a temperature of 74 degrees C. Never seen anything like it!

Shopping time again before we went on to our lodge on the northern side of the lake (we are now experts at NZ supermarkets including returning our trundler to the trundler park!) Lodge booked for three nights, so a real chance to explore and enjoy the area with plenty of tennis and dips in the pool.

Whilst here we also went to the Maori village in time to see the afternoon dance performance, they even won over Freya who was a little anxious about the Maori facial expressions, but by the end she loved it!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The maorisThe maoris
The maoris

We've joined!
Really friendlyReally friendly
Really friendly

What a relief!


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb