Day 31 Off to Rotura


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
November 27th 2013
Published: December 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

So another day of travelling so blog will be pretty boring!

We left Waiheke on the 10am ferry after another leisurely morning and substantial breakfast. When we went back to the house to get our luggage it was very busy outside. Water was being delivered (all houses on the island having water containers unless they are lucky to have their own spring) as well as having the house washed (by someone else) most houses in the island are made from wooden shuttering and obviously to keep them looking pristine they have the whole house and roof washed. It also said about spider removal on the side of the van but I decided to overlook that bit! Managed to get the luggage out grime and spider free!

Once back to Auckland we asked a taxi driver how far it was to the car rental company. 5 minutes he said and pointed us up the road opposite with a promise we would see it at the next set of lights. Off we set but no sign. So Ian asked another taxi driver. Oh no he said, it's about 3 blocks down but no more than 5mins. Off we set. 3 blocks came and hurrah it's beach road. What number I ask as I spy number 2. Number 156 says Ian. Who knows why they didn't want the stupid fare!!!!!! Anyway 25 sweaty minutes later we pick up the car and point it towards Rotarua.

Actually we aren't staying in Rotarua as it stinks of sulphur and Ian has a very sensitive nose. We are staying near a lake about 20km outside called lake Rotoehu.

The place is called wildwood lodge. The drive took about 3 1/2 hours as roads top speed limit is 100kph and there are no such things as motorways. No stops as Ian doesn't like stops. Anyway Wildwood is definitely worth the wait. I really didn't think you could have beaten the view from the night before. But WOW.

The lodge sits right on the edge of the lake with the tress framing the view. You would believe you were the the only people who had access to this vast body of water. The owners, Cath and Simon had also upgraded us and put us in the separate mini lodge which really completed the picture with our own personal verandah and it's own hot tub.

Wildwood is based on an 'all inclusive' basis. However do not get this confused with anywhere you would need to wear a paper bracelet. The people who own and run it treat you as treasured guests where nothing is too much of a problem. I asked could I have a glass of wine when we got there and was promptly given a bottle to take back to our 'room'.

Having played celebrity for a couple of hours we then dressed and went over to the main lodge for dinner. Cath is a brilliant cook and much of what was served came from the couples grounds. Asparagus, brocolli, all types of fruit etc. 5 courses later I could hardly move.

Luckily not too far to go to collapse into bed with a promise from Cath to help us plan our day out tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Hot tub as opposed to hot springHot tub as opposed to hot spring
Hot tub as opposed to hot spring

Much more convenient. Just outside the bedroom door and all ours.


Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 40; dbt: 0.075s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb