Roturua-One Tribe to another


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
December 23rd 2013
Published: January 1st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Urgh! daddy's Breath!Urgh! daddy's Breath!Urgh! daddy's Breath!

Arriving in Rotorua
We definitely picked the good days for the beach as when we woke up this morning it was dull and rainy. We left to drive to Rotorua, and could tell when we were near due to the smell. Reuben wasn't impressed and wound the window down to get rid of the smell-unbeknowing that is where it was coming from, so resorted to sticking his fingers up his nose after that! Rotorua has the nickname 'Sulphur City' due to the hydrogen sulphide emissions which give it a smell of rotten eggs-nice! It was one of those days where the was plenty to do but everyone couldn't seem to decide on what exactly. We found somewhere to park and had a 30 minute discussion about it, then Daryl suggested a cafe where we had food and spent a further hour discussing what we'd do, by the time we'd finished eating, the days plans were kind of confirmed.....

First stop was the Waimangu Volcanic Valley. This is the only hydrothermal system in the world with surface activity that can be pinned down to an exact day in June 1886 when there was a violent volcanic eruption. This area apparently lays on the pacific ring of fire which marks the boundary between the pacific and the Indian/Australia tectonic plate. This now scenic reserve is now is administered by the department if conservation, and part of it is open to visitors like us.

The views were great and it it was a lovely walk looking at the craters and bubbling pools. We didn't go with a guide as we didn't want to be strapped for time, but they had really good written visitors guides that detailed each part so that was good enough-a bit of history a bit of geography-quite an educational tour for us today!

Next we headed to the Roturua skyline and Luge-same as what we'd done in Queenstown but this one was meant to be faster and of course Rhys could join in on this one. Unfortunately we were told the wait time was 30 minutes for each go, meaning we'd have to spend at least 2 hours up there. We'd have to give it a miss today as we'd booked in to the Mitai Maori Village for the evening so wouldn't have time.

Now this was definitely one of the things I wanted to experience whilst in New Zealand, and I'm so glad we did it.

The evening started with a drink (of course) in the marquee whilst we had an introduction of the evening. The host was very good and involved everyone by asking where they were from and greeting them in that particular language. Someone said they were from England, and he asked if anyone else was from England. Sitting at a table full of Welsh, I daren't put my hand up, especially after Jan shot a frosty glare as if to say 'don't you dare' (Michelle by now knows better!)

When it got to us 'Welsh' the guy commented 'You've brought a tribe of your very own!'all in all there were people from 21 different countries, and from then on we were referred to as 'the tribe of 21 nations'.

He asked for a volunteer to be the chief of our tribe, to meet the chief of the Mitai tribe and give thanks for there invite this evening. No one on the Welsh table was willing (maybe they knew what was coming next) but eventually a guy from Oz volunteered. He then asked for a volunteer to sing, and a distant voice volunteered the Wales table as they are known for having a good valley voice, and this time last year Rhys was top of the Classical album charts with Only Boys Aloud-how hard could it be? We learned that New Zealand population is about 17% Maori, with 50% of those living here in Rotorua.

We made our way outside to see the Hangi, this was our meal for the evening that had been cooked the traditional way in the earth oven. It looked and smelled delicious-I was looking forward to sampling some! We then had a walk to see their sacred freshwater spring which looked as clear as an aquarium with all the fish swimming about in it and little bubble pools forming in the sand. We waited on the banks as the Waka neared. This is the ancient warrior war canoe hand carved by the Mitai family and all the men were in traditional dress paddling it up the wai-o-whiro stream shouting their war cries-it really was a brilliant thing to see. We made our way to the seated area in the Mitai village site ready for the cultural performance. Our nominated chief was greeted by the Maori chief and said a few words of thanks-then it was the turn of the Welsh Singsong. Calon Lân was the song of choice so up we stood and belted out a great tune (I don't know the words so just hummed it!) there must have been some more Welsh in the other group as others joined in particularly for the chorus, and it really did sound great-I never knew what a cracking singing voice Jan had until today! It had been decided to only sing 1 verse, but Den must have either forgotten this or been feeling super patriotic and continued the song with one lone loud voice. Others soon joined in and finished the song to a rapturous round of applause.

The cultural show was really good, full of traditional song and dance and talks about the history of the Maori people, their weaponry and combat, and the ta moko which are the tattoos, and what each facial one represented. At the end they did their version of the Haka which was really good-Reuben loved it and joined in, slapping his forearms and sticking out his tongue-actually I can't decide which was the most entertaining! We had our pictures taken before heading back for the long awaited Hangi, which was chicken and Lamb, and tasted amazing!

The evening was rounded up by a guided bush walk in where we learned about the habitat of the area, and how old the trees were that made the Wakas. We also got the chance to see the glow worms-the brighter they shine, the hungrier they are (if the same applied to humans, Daryl would be luminous given the amount of brew breaks we've had to factor into the holiday so far! It really was a good evening (see links below) and worth the late night and weary 2 hour drive back. I'd learned a lot today about the history culture and geography of New Zealand which is always a good thing to do when you're visiting a place. I also learned that I really should by now be familiar with some welsh songs-note to self-New Years resolution 2014 -learn the words to Calon Lân (see below for the translation!) and never openly admit to being English (at least if jan is in earshot)
Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus,Aur y byd na'i berlau mân:Gofyn 'rwyf am galon hapus,Calon onest, calon lân.Calon lân yn llawn daioni, Tecach yw na'r lili dlos: Dim ond calon lân all ganu Canu'r dydd a chanu'r nos. Pe dymunwn olud bydol,Hedyn buan ganddo sydd;Golud calon lân, rinweddol,Yn dwyn bythol elw fydd.Hwyr a bore fy nymuniadGwyd i'r nef ar adain cânAr i Dduw, er mwyn fy Ngheidwad,Roddi i mi galon lân.I don't ask for a luxurious life,the world's gold or its fine pearls,I ask for a happy heart,an honest heart, a pure heart.A pure heart full of goodness Is fairer than the pretty lily, None but a pure heart can sing, Sing in the day, sing in the night. If I wished for worldly wealth,It would swiftly go to seed;The riches of a virtuous, pure heartWill bear eternal profit.Evening and morning, my wishRising to heaven on the wing of songFor God, for the sake of my Saviour,To give me a pure heart.

http://www.mitai.co.nz/encounters.htm

http://www.mitai.co.nz/index.htm


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



1st January 2014

BLWYDDWYN NEWYDD DDA PAWB!!! ~ HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!
Happy New Year Everyone!! Hope you enjoyed your New Year Celebrations? Brilliant write up covering your last few days before the Christmas festivities began. Some lovely photos too. The days are running away from you now :0( Bet you wish you could go back to Day 1 and start all over again? Enjoy your last couple of days and as always, take care, stay safe and look after each other :0) With love from a very rainy Wales xXx

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb