Rotorua - Tamaki Tours and Girls Night Out.


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
March 14th 2013
Published: March 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in smelly Rotorua - aka Sulphur City. Pete went off to the hobbiton tour and us girls just sat around gossiping like normal. once Pete was back we got the coach to the Tamaki tours - a tour which shows and tells you all about the Maori culture.

When we got there we had to elect someone to be tribe leader and his job was to greet the tribe leader in the Maori village. As we went in the Maoris performed a haka to intimidate all the tribe leaders which was quite funny as soome of them were absolutely crapping themselves. The Maoris were making some very strange facial expressions during the dance I thought I was going to burst out laughing which apparently is a complete no no and very insulting as they take the show very seriously.

After the initial dance we were led through to lots of different mini shows including how they use their weapons, how they train their minds and how they train their body's. Pete was picked to do the ladder running which was quite funny as he had flip flops on and was trying to hide at the back so he wasn't chosen - that obviously didn't work!

Our second to last mini show was a teaching of the Hakka. It was hilarious as they picked the fattest two men from the group as well as a couple of others. They went through the moves but were also told to do the facial expressions too. I've never seen such a bunch of uncoordinated people in my life but it was a good laugh and the Maoris were taking the absolute piss out of them.

After the mini shows we watched another show where they all performed different Maori traditions and sung and danced it was actually quite good. Afterward we had dinner which was a roast - however I'm still left wondering ever in every country I've been there version of a roast involves only 1 potato and its definitely not roasted more like baked - always disappoints me so that's first on my to do list when I get home - mum is cooking me a roast!!!

The dinner was however quite enjoyable but made much more entertaining by a 'special' woman who was clearly overwhelmed by the maori culture - she was up dancing and crying, yes fully crying, when the Maoris were singing after dinner. At the end she went over to hug one of them and stayed there far too long for the comfort of the poor Maori man - he looked very disturbed. After more crying he managed to palm her off on to someone else before making a very quick exit he he.

Once back at the hostel Beth and Tasha decided to go for a few drinks in the bar so I agreed to come for "just 1". After approx 10 jaeger bombs I forgot I was only supposed to be there for one drink. The best thing was after only buying three drinks some polish men at the bar kept paying for everything we ordered without us even having to talk to them. After said 10 jägers we decided to throw some shapes on the dance floor - Beth (the dancer) was in full show off mode and was busting some serious moves. We were soon joined by Sam and German sausage (something we nicknamed him after this night) and we danced till all the lights came on and we were thrown out.

After leaving the club Beth decided it would be a good idea to lay on the floor with her legs in the air and akimbo - not quite sure why but I got a good picture to embarrass her with the next day. I went to bed, Beth followed whilst singing spider pig at the top of her lungs and waking everyone up in our room, including the German lady who we didn't know! Tasha stayed in the hallway talking to Dom AKA German Sausage and turned up at 5am. We obviously thought she had been up to no good but it turned out she had fallen asleep in the computer room underneath a desk and got assorted out by security at 5am back to the room.

Was a great night and was really nice to have a girls night out, even if it was with a 19 and a 22 year old who like to dance on bars and chat up very odd men in order to get free drinks he he.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb