Flying low! - Volcanic Air Safari


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
December 19th 2012
Published: December 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Well you have to do something different on holiday! Some come to New Zealand to Bungy Jump but for me I could not eventually resist the lure of a trip in an Otter Seaplane from Lake Rotorua to view Mount Tarawera and the surrounding thermal area.

This was a late afternoon, spur of the moment trip. We took off from Lake Rotorua just outside our hotel and flew SW over the Crater Lake District (rather like ours back home but volcanic in origin) towards the summit of Mt Tarawera. Enroute you could see along the whole line of the volcanic area out to the currently active White Island in the distance over which a plume of stream could be seen. On reaching Tarawera the explosion craters of the 1886 eruption could be seen and we flew low over and around a few times before returning over the steaming cliffs and hot lakes of the Waimangu Volcanic Valley, the geysers of Whakarewarewa Thermal Reserve and Rotorua City.

As a geologist, this for me was even more of an adrenalin rush that a bungy jump....and I got keep my lunch down!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Our hotelOur hotel
Our hotel

During takeoff
Mount TaraweraMount Tarawera
Mount Tarawera

The crater rift formed by the 1886 eruption
View to White Island View to White Island
View to White Island

Just visible on horizon
Rotorua Thermal RegionRotorua Thermal Region
Rotorua Thermal Region

The aerial view of my walk this morning


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb