Rotorua


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
October 29th 2009
Published: October 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We left Mercury Bay at 7.30am, and after a long drive we arrived in a little town called Matamata for a lunch stop. This place was the filming location for Hobbiton in the Lord Of The Rings movie, hence the sign with the Gollum statue!

We then headed to our destination, Rotorua, which in my opinion was a bit of a dump. Greeted with heavy rain, the town is built over boiling mudpools and geysers, so sulphur dioxide rises up through the streets. Not good - the whole place smells of rotten eggs!

It was 2pm when we arrived, and checking into the youth hostel I soon got to know my 7 other room-mates. We all headed to the nearest supermarket to stock up on beer with them and played a few drinking games til dinnertime.

For dinner some of us went to a Maori village where we received a traditional welcoming and an insight into their culture. We were also given a concert which was great, and best of all, a traditional Maori feast - food cooked underground in an "earth oven" - roast potatoes, lamb, beef and gravy - the whole lot, absolutely delicious! I couldn't have been happier to finally get a decent meal after a week of plane food and manky bread rolls from our lunch stops on the bus.

We then returned to the dorm room for more drinking. I had to be up early the next morning, and getting sleep wasn't easy with the amount of noise going on in the hostel!

Anyway, this has been my least favourite stop so far and I'll be glad to move on to Waitomo!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Maori welcomingMaori welcoming
Maori welcoming

Smile or laugh at these guys and get your head bashed in with a pole!


30th January 2010

rororua
hey oliver i am heading over to rotorua in the next few days and was wondering if you paid through a company for the maori performance also which hostel you would recommend. Also what is Matamata like is it, as i suspect just another tiny town with nothing in it but because it has a banner and a statue people flock there? Cheers Kelv

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb