From AUKLAND to Lake TAUPO


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
November 14th 2008
Published: November 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

New Zealand PigeonNew Zealand PigeonNew Zealand Pigeon

Rainbow Springs Nature Centre
26th September 2008

We spent most of today driving towards Rotorua. We had a couple of stops for food and refreshments and thought about having a look around ‘Hobbiton’ and ‘The Shire’ from ‘Lord Of The Rings’ but it looked naff and overpriced so we thought better of it.

Rotorua looked very touristy so all we did there was visit Rainbow Springs Nature Centre. It was very well done, we saw gigantic Rainbow, Brook and Tiger Trout, a Brown Kiwi, Keas and a Kaka Parrot (Pili’s favourite clearly because of its name).

After we decided to head south a little and find somewhere to park up for the night. Pili got us horribly lost and got in a real flap. We had our first real argument of the trip, not good, but considering we’ve been with each other in a small environment for so long I think we’re doing surprisingly well.

I finally worked out where we were and found us a camp site, Golden Sands. It wasn’t as plush as the Top 10 sites, in fact it was a little rustic, but it had everything we needed. I cooked Pili and I a meal while she
TuataraTuataraTuatara

One of the Worlds slowest and longest living reptiles. Some individuals live 300yrs!
showered and we shared a bottle of red.

Just as we’d finished a couple of guys came into the kitchen, Mick and Steve. They were both up country to do some off road motor biking. Pili at this point said goodnight and retired. Mick had previously been a park warden in the North of Australia. We had a lot in common and talked into the wee hours of the morning, we also sank a few beers. An entertaining end to a stressful day.

27th September 2008

This morning we headed off to Waiotapu Thermal village. The first thing we saw was the ‘Lady Knox Geyser’. This Geyser was triggered by the tour guide pouring soap powder into the vent to break the water tension and release the pressure. The jet over scalding hot water rose to approx 10 metres. This all very impressive, but the best was to come. The rest of the park, which took us nearly 4hrs to go around, was made up of thermal pools. They were every shade of the rainbow. The colours were from the minerals deposited from deep within the ground and released into the boiling water. It has to be
Waiotapu Thermal VillageWaiotapu Thermal VillageWaiotapu Thermal Village

Lady Knox Geyser
seen to be believed. I hope my photos do it justice. One thing the photos won’t show is the rank, rotten egg smell produced from the sulphur, we were a little light headed when we left.

Before we left we stopped by a large boiling mud pool. This was just as impressive with its gurgling mud bubbles plopping away merrily.

We finally headed south towards New Zealand’s largest lake, Lake Taupo, which is framed by the snow capped Tongariro Mountain Range, made famous by the movie ‘Lord Of The Rings’. The lake is 616 square km and 185 metres deep. It was formed when 1800 yrs ago the Taupo volcano erupted creating a huge crater which was filled from the turquoise blue Waikato River. I wouldn’t want to be around if it went off again, it’s a very big whole!!

We had a brief look at the Huka Falls before heading off to do some supply shopping.
We desparately needed another quilt, it’s been bitterly cold at night the further south we go. We also needed a decent frying pan. The one with the van was useless plus I left it under the van in Owera and drove off without it, DUH!

We secured two really good bargains, a supply of soup and noodles and drove to the lake front to find somewhere to park up. At the lake we met an Irish couple, Chris and Brid, we decided to try and camp together as they were also looking somewhere to stay.

On the way into Taupo we saw a sign for Reids Farm Campsite, apparently a free site. When we arrived it was perfect, right next to the picturesque Waikato River. Shortly after filling our bellies and listening to Brid tell her stories in her lilting accent we went to bed. Pili kept giggling because Brid’s accent reminded her of Father Ted….FECK!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

SmellySmelly
Smelly

The smell of sulphur made us light headed.
Champagne PoolChampagne Pool
Champagne Pool

I shouldn't have been that far out
Misty RiverMisty River
Misty River

Mist or Pili's burning breakfast!
Bitch in his kitchenBitch in his kitchen
Bitch in his kitchen

Breakfast is almost done at Reids Farm Campsite


Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 21; qc: 68; dbt: 0.1001s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb